Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
bob prohaska bob prohaska is offline

Default Socket for old shower valve bonnet needed

Jim Wilkins wrote:
I used to have a 4-unit apartment building that was built around
1950. It had the old style 3-valve shower controls and I fought the
repair battle for years before biting the bullet and replacing them.
It was a big job, but the repairs were an even bigger job, if you
add them all up over the years. Just sayin'.

Long term the bathroom should be completely re-done, certainly. It's
possible the clock has already run out, but I'm not willing to admit
it just yet 8-)

I'm liking the make-the-nut-hexagonal idea more. It wouldn't really
take much brass removal. Here's a drawing:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vF...uzvsDu5yGA7n8L

A 1/2" hex nut bored out to fit over the pipe could be the scribing or
chiseling guide.

You're right, that's not much metal to remove. Alas, my freehand skills
with a die grinder aren't very good. If I could extract the bonnet once
I could certainly file the hex accurately enough. If I can replace the
seals and put it back once it'll outlive me...

bob prohaska