Old December 10th 18, 08:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Socket for old shower valve bonnet needed

I'd like to service a shower valve in a 1957 house with original plumbing.

The bonnet nut uses a round boss 7/8" in diameter with two flats milled
in it about 3/4" apart. It'd be a cinch if the valve stuck out of the wall,
any open-end would fit. Unfortunately it's recessed about an inch behind the
tile, so a socket is reuquired.

All the wrenches I can find fit hex nuts, does anybody know the correct name
for the required tool? From time to time "nuts" like this have crossed my
path, but I've never encountered one used in a position that requires a
socket to grab it.

At this point I don't even know what to look for. Correct terminology would
help a great deal.

Thanks for reading, and any guidance.

bob prohaska

Old December 10th 18, 08:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"bob prohaska" wrote in message news

I'd like to service a shower valve in a 1957 house with original plumbing.

The bonnet nut uses a round boss 7/8" in diameter with two flats milled
in it about 3/4" apart. It'd be a cinch if the valve stuck out of the wall,
any open-end would fit. Unfortunately it's recessed about an inch behind
the
tile, so a socket is reuquired.

All the wrenches I can find fit hex nuts, does anybody know the correct
name
for the required tool? From time to time "nuts" like this have crossed my
path, but I've never encountered one used in a position that requires a
socket to grab it.

At this point I don't even know what to look for. Correct terminology would
help a great deal.

Thanks for reading, and any guidance.

Big question is how big is the hole in the tile? If it's big enough you
could get a crow's foot wrench in there, or a sink wrench (think right angle
pipe wrench on the end of a T handle). Google or search amazon.com for
pictures of both. Or make a socket by milling a deep 3/4" wide slot in the
end of a piece of 1" square bar and turn it with a big adjustable wrench.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Old December 10th 18, 08:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 20:40:21 -0000 (UTC)
bob prohaska wrote:

I'd like to service a shower valve in a 1957 house with original plumbing.

The bonnet nut uses a round boss 7/8" in diameter with two flats milled
in it about 3/4" apart. It'd be a cinch if the valve stuck out of the wall,
any open-end would fit. Unfortunately it's recessed about an inch behind the
tile, so a socket is reuquired.

All the wrenches I can find fit hex nuts, does anybody know the correct name
for the required tool? From time to time "nuts" like this have crossed my
path, but I've never encountered one used in a position that requires a
socket to grab it.

At this point I don't even know what to look for. Correct terminology would
help a great deal.

Thanks for reading, and any guidance.

bob prohaska

Just some maybes... Can you fit a crowfoot in the

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NPUJNA/

Just one example, lots of makes out there...

Also those universal one size fit all sockets:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+Socket+wrench

might work, don't know if it's big enough though nor how tight your nut
is. I don't think those would hold up well to heavy loads...

Also might fit a basin wrench in the

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s=basin+wrench

I would probably make something if all those fail to work

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Old December 10th 18, 09:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 15:52:53 -0500
"Carl" wrote:

snip
Big question is how big is the hole in the tile? If it's big enough you
could get a crow's foot wrench in there, or a sink wrench (think right angle
pipe wrench on the end of a T handle). Google or search amazon.com for
pictures of both. Or make a socket by milling a deep 3/4" wide slot in the
end of a piece of 1" square bar and turn it with a big adjustable wrench.

Too funny Carl. My post sounded like an echo of your's

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Old December 10th 18, 09:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Dos it back up to a closet where you could cut an access hole and fit
a cover?

Old December 10th 18, 09:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carl wrote:
[...]

Nowhere close to big enough for a crow's foot. I'll have a grind out some
of the tile and grout to get a relatively thin socket on the bonnet fitting.

If I just hammered a pair of flats on a 7/8" ID tube it _might_ work, but
any wrench I can make will be a worse fit and weaker than the worst wrench
I'm likely to buy. If I damage the valve it'll mean taking out tile,
that could easily turn into a bathroom remodel 8-|

There's nothing particularly special about the house or the way it's built,
I'm sure the valves were common before the advent of single-control valves.
If I knew what the needed wrench was called I'd have a chance of finding one.
Terms like "2 flat socket" and "2 point socket" find nothing. "Valve bonnet
wrench" finds many matches, but they're all hex.

A search through McMaster-Carr catalog 117 found nothing even close. That
could mean the valve is rare, but nore likely it just means the valve is a
purely residential product.

Thanks for writing,

bob prohaska

Old December 10th 18, 10:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 4:43:20 PM UTC-5, bob prohaska wrote:

If I just hammered a pair of flats on a 7/8" ID tube it _might_ work, but
any wrench I can make will be a worse fit and weaker than the worst wrench
I'm likely to buy. If I damage the valve it'll mean taking out tile,
that could easily turn into a bathroom remodel 8-|

Thanks for writing,

bob

If I wore going to make a special tool, I would think about using a deep socket and a nut that fits the socket. And modify the nut by cutting it so it converts the socket to what you need. THen hold the pieces of the nut in the socket with glue

Dan
Old December 10th 18, 10:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"bob prohaska" wrote in message
news
If I just hammered a pair of flats on a 7/8" ID tube it _might_
work, but
any wrench I can make will be a worse fit and weaker than the worst
wrench
I'm likely to buy. If I damage the valve it'll mean taking out tile,
that could easily turn into a bathroom remodel 8-|

If you make a socket by milling a 3/4" slot in the end of round stock,
there's no need to match the 7/8" circle at the ends, the slot can
just be longer.

Old December 10th 18, 10:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Dos it back up to a closet where you could cut an access hole and fit
a cover?

No, shower and tub are back-to-back, plumbing is in the common wall
and both surfaces are tiled.

I suspect a lot of these valves were used in the '50s and '60s and
quite a few of them are still in service. If I knew what they're called
it's likely I could find a wrench, or at least what the wrench looks
like.

I don't have any machine tools except a lathe, so cutting a pair of
accurate wrench flats will be a "file and fit" proposition. Using the
lathe to form a pilot hole that fits on the valve stem/bonnet will
ease the fiting problem somewhat, but a purchased wrench of the correct
type is much less likely to damage the valve.

Would posting a photo of the valve bonnet help with identifying it?
I thought somebody would recognize it by the description.

Thanks for posting,

bob prohaska

Old December 10th 18, 11:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message news

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 15:52:53 -0500
"Carl" wrote:

snip
Big question is how big is the hole in the tile? If it's big enough you
could get a crow's foot wrench in there, or a sink wrench (think right
angle
pipe wrench on the end of a T handle). Google or search amazon.com for
pictures of both. Or make a socket by milling a deep 3/4" wide slot in
the
end of a piece of 1" square bar and turn it with a big adjustable wrench.

Too funny Carl. My post sounded like an echo of your's

:-)

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames