Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam,alt.checkmate
Bruce Farquhar Bruce Farquhar is offline

Default JUICEY BRUCEY ASKS, "How does a thermocouple have enough power tooperate a gas valve?"

On 2018-12-11 10:29 a.m., Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 12/11/2018 9:26 AM, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 17:04:22 -0000, Colonel Edmund J. Burke
wrote:

On 12/8/2018 8:41 AM, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On older boilers (furnaces if you're American), when the heating
isn't actually running (eg. the thermostat says the house is warm
enough), there's no power to the boiler, so how does the pilot light
valve stay open with the tiny voltage (40mV?) and current from the
thermocouple?

The basic problem with english engineering is that it hasn't advanced
much beyond the 1500s. We superior Americans, however, employ the
use of electronic ignitors.

As do we with new boilers. But our stuff must last longer because a
lot of folk still have one with a pilot light, the only ones that
don't are the morons that thought they should spend £1000 to get a
boiler that will save them £50 a year on gas. So you make a profit in
20 years time, why bother? My boiler is at least 25 years old and
I've only ever replaced the thermocouple for £7. It could be newer
fancier boilers have more to go wrong, I've heard of a modern boiler
lasting only 7 years!!

If you don't know what that is, see one of my recent poasts
concerning the pigtailing of neutral and ground circuits.

What has pigtailing to do with electronic igniters?

You'd need an electrician's license to even comprehend what I would tell
you about that.

you need a dog license to look like that

They haven't had dog licenses in the UK for decades. Don't tell me America still does?