Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Recommendation For First Circular Saw

On 12/9/2018 11:34 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

For most of my home projects, square edges and a reasonable cut speed
trumps the flexibility of a jigsaw.

Correct. Jig saws are for cutting curved lines, circular saws for
straight lines. Get the right tool for the job.

I highly recommend a circular saw with a laser guide that makes cutting
LONG straight lines easy for beginners and anyone w/o a track saw. Not
needed for pallets though.

For pallets, I recommend getting her tools for ripping the pallets
apart, such as a pallet buster and something to remove nails and
staples. Once ripped apart, and nails/staples removed, she can use any
cheap saw to cut them up.

https://tinyurl.com/yafdfc6k

https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Elect...SIN=B00IZRUUKU

If she wears this one out, she can buy a good one, I like my Makita
5007MG Magnesium 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw except it doesn't have the
mandatory laser sight. I don't own the $50 saw listed above, but for
$50, it should last enough to get a compost bin built.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com