Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk[_2_] Leon Fisk[_2_] is offline

Default Socket for old shower valve bonnet needed

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 05:44:41 -0000 (UTC)
bob prohaska wrote:

snip
In the ( probaby vain ) hope that somebody will recognize the valve's
maker or the needed wrench type a few photos have been put at
http://www.zefox.net/~bp/shower_valve/
For scale, the long threaded part is 5/8" diameter, the flats are about
3/4" apart and the OD of the boss is 7/8".

I've got the same or very similar bathtub faucet. Mine wasn't mounted
so deep and you can fit a spanner wrench on the bonnets. Couldn't get
the seats out though. Didn't want to break something trying any harder
to turn them. Those two flats on the bonnet for a wrench are pretty
common or at least it used to be. For instance Streamway as shown he

https://www.danco.com/product/7j-2hc...amway-faucets/

is pretty close. You can download the whole Danco catalog here (huge!
180MB):

https://s16962.pcdn.co/wp-content/up...thAddendum.pdf

it has good pictures for a lot of old stems in it with manufacturer
names. Streamway has a few good examples on actual page 38 of pdf. I
couldn't find any special sockets to fit that shape though. Also a
nice schematic on page 5 detailing all the proper part names...

On my bathtub I just replaced the washer, packer, escutcheon nipple and
escutcheon. Used a 6-flute countersink to touch up the seats. Maybe a
conical grind stone too. Probably by hand or really slow in VSR drill.
Been over 10 years now, don't remember the details for sure...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI