Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Bruce Farquhar Bruce Farquhar is offline

Default nuclear thermal generators, was: How does a thermocouple ...

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 01:50:07 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 00:20:16 -0000, Steve Walker

On 10/12/2018 22:55, dpb wrote:
On 12/10/2018 4:29 PM, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 22:12:56 -0000, dpb wrote:

On 12/10/2018 1:08 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news ...

I said "We do have nuclear power stations which can and do
explode...."
You said "Wrong."

Only Fukushima exploded.

And that was _NOT_ a nuclear explosion but conventional hydrogen gas
(which came from decomposition of water and collected). It isn't
physically possible to create a supercritcal mass from the
low-enriched
commercial reactor fuel.

But don't commercial reactors create weapons grade stuff on behalf of
the military? It's why the governments subsidise them in the first
place.

No, and no they don't subsidize commercial generation (at least
outside places like N Korea and the like).

There is no reprocessing of commercial nuclear fuel at all in the US
and afaik, none currently going on anywhere world wide outside the few
rogue states that may be doing some.

(http://www.world-nuclear.org/informa...lear-fuel.aspx)

World commercial reprocessing capacity (tonnes per year)
LWR fuel
France, La Hague 1700
UK, Sellafield (THORP) 600
Russia, Ozersk (Mayak) 400
Japan (Rokkasho) 800*
====
Total LWR (approx) 3500

I don't know about the rest, but Thorp is mo longer reprocessing and will
store spent fuel for around the next 50 years.

Or try to, until it leaks.

And if it does, trivial to fix that.

Too late then. And also expensive, especially if it's at the bottom of the ocean.