Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Recommendation For First Circular Saw

On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 2:40:34 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 8:49:51 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Other than a drill, this will be her first real power tool. I have a Porter
Cable 743 left blade which I love. I'd buy her the same saw but it's no longer
available, other than used.

Though not my preference to buy used, especially for a daughter's gift of any kind, consider this, maybe:

Seems your daughter is a practical woman. She may appreciate a practical gift option, even if used.

Home Depot has this Ryobi combo set for $129. I bought one about a year ago, a convenient kit I kept at my Mother's house.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18...P883/203466914

The drill is very good. It's nice to have an additional drill (I have 3 total, 1 heavy corded, keyed chuck Milwaukee and 2 battery Ryobis). I use all of them, often. These Ryobi drills aren't quite strong enough to easily drill a half inch hole in cypress, a somewhat soft wood, but otherwise does a very good job with smaller bits. The quick change bits (no keyed chuck) is convenient for most of my uses.

The saber saw is somewhat weak, but ok for small cuts. The blade that came with it is poor, for cutting 1" poplar boards (see chair example below).. I don't know if better blades can be purchased. A better blade would make it an overall better tool, than as is.

Same for the circular saw, weak, but ok for thin boards and/or small jobs (like pallet boards). I recently used the circular saw to cut up a arm chair frame.... 1" poplar wood. It performed reasonably well for this job. It's not a heavy duty tool.

I inherited a Ryobi 18 volt combo set from my Dad. The old blue & black style.
6" C-saw, jigsaw, drill. Weak isn't the word for it. Unusable for any serious
work is a better description. Maybe the new green Lithium stuff is better, but
since you called them "weak", I'm gonna stick with my "No Ryobi tools for me"
rule. That rule extends to buying them for my immediate family.

??? A pawnshop buy may be reasonable for a stronger/beefier tool, despite used. I would suppose pawn shops may be receiving lots of reasonable tools this time of year. Might be worth a look-see, there. Hand-spin the arbor to check for odd sounds, roughness, grinding or other unusual anomalies (possible problems?). The pawnshop should have an outlet to test its operation, as well.

Some years ago, while visiting my sister in NC, I bought a C-saw at a pawn shop for $35, for doing a few chores, there. She still uses it, still in good condition.

I picked up a barely used PC690 Router and a Dewalt ROS for $80 at pawn shop
last year. All I was looking for was an extra fixed base for my 690 to mount
to the router table I had just built when I stumbled across the Craigslist ad
for the whole router. I didn't know that it was a pawn shop until I called
them. I hadn't even planned on buying a ROS, but I'm sure glad I found that
one amongst the pile of beat up sanders.

This place also sells a lot of brand new combo sets, mostly Dewalt. Only
problem is that their price isn't low enough for me to forgo the warranty.
Maybe I should check again and see what they have in stock.