Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K.. Jim K.. is offline

Default How many cubic metres of concrete?

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Fredxx" wrote in message
news
On 10/12/2018 10:24, Rod Speed wrote:

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message

In the uk gravel is uniform, and you can choose the size you want,
from about pea size to marble size. But you only (within limits)
get the size you ask for. If your 'aggregate' is well-graded from
fine sand up to pebbles then it is not what we in the uk call gravel.

Aggregate is actually crushed rock, much sharper pieces
than river gravel. And is available in a variety of sizes,
smaller than pea sized which is normally used on
driveways instead of concrete, up to rather bigger than
marble size which is what is usually used in concrete.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construction_aggregate

We only call it ballast when used under railway
lines or when its much bigger used in ships.

But it may be suitable ballast for concrete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete
No mention of ballast there, must be a uk thing.

Being it is a uk group it seems reasonable to suppose
that UK meanings are generally intended.

Only when you are too stupid to notice that it isnt just poms here.

Those who are the most stupid are those who can't see "UK.D-I-Y"

Now if I started posting on an Aussi group and whinged about UK vs Ausie
terms I would be rightly give short shrift.

Wouldn't you agree?

No one whinged, stupid.

Oh do stop whinging Peed.
--