Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How many cubic metres of concrete?

Tricky Dicky Wrote in message:
Based on the standard mix of 3-2-1, gravel, sharp sand & cement, using ballast I tend to use a 5 to 1 mix. I find other mixes to weak and I would only use ballast mixed concrete in non-critical situations owing to the disparity in quality of the constituents, as the Paving Expert says it could anything from the sweepings off the yard floor.

Richard

321 sounds like strong mortar with some gravel in.
421 sounds like concrete, where a large part of the strength is
the aggregate - type & amount- with voids between pieces of large
aggregate filled with the "grout" of sand & cement.

In a 321 I'd be thinking the gravel would be liable to sink to the
bottom leaving just mortar at the top or best case (a really
stiff mix) each piece of gravel would be so surrounded by
(relatively) extra grout so preventing the gravel from
interlocking properly & leaving the result weak & liable to
simple fracturing...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 09/12/2018 00:33, Rod Speed wrote:

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
On 08/12/2018 19:18, Rod Speed wrote:

"Paul Welsh" wrote in message
news On 08/12/2018 12:46, Roger Hayter wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

On 08/12/2018 11:52, Andy Burns wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm
deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would
have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill
You forgot there were 3 holes?

Doesn't 6 to 1 mix mean 6 parts sand to 1 part concrete.

Nope 6 parts gravel, 1 part cement.

Six parts ballast to one part cement.

It isnt ballast.

Gravel isn't ballast, but it's ballast that's used: a mixture of sand and
gravel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

`

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm
deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would
have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill
You forgot there were 3 holes?

Doesn't 6 to 1 mix mean 6 parts sand to 1 part concrete.

Nope 6 parts gravel, 1 part cement.

Six parts ballast to one part cement.

It isnt ballast.

Gravel isn't ballast, but it's ballast that's used: a mixture of sand and
gravel.

Plenty of that sort of concrete has gravel, not ballast.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm
deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would
have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill
You forgot there were 3 holes?

Doesn't 6 to 1 mix mean 6 parts sand to 1 part concrete.

Nope 6 parts gravel, 1 part cement.

Er no...

Fraid so. And we call it aggregate.

How much of that mix is holding up the tin shack? :-)

None of it. I have a concrete slab directly on the ground
and there is no tin whatever involved in the walls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm
deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would
have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill
You forgot there were 3 holes?

Doesn't 6 to 1 mix mean 6 parts sand to 1 part concrete.

Nope 6 parts gravel, 1 part cement.

Er no...

Fraid so. And we call it aggregate.

How much of that mix is holding up the tin shack? :-)

None of it. I have a concrete slab directly on the ground
and there is no tin whatever involved in the walls.

Rod's Peed snips to suit once again! Ha!

So none of your concrete has sand in it?
Ooppsssyy!
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

`

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm
deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would
have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill
You forgot there were 3 holes?

Doesn't 6 to 1 mix mean 6 parts sand to 1 part concrete.

Nope 6 parts gravel, 1 part cement.

Six parts ballast to one part cement.

It isnt ballast.

Gravel isn't ballast, but it's ballast that's used: a mixture of sand and
gravel.

Plenty of that sort of concrete has gravel, not ballast.

The gravel was in the ballast. Concrete is not gravel + cement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm
deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would
have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill
You forgot there were 3 holes?

Doesn't 6 to 1 mix mean 6 parts sand to 1 part concrete.

Nope 6 parts gravel, 1 part cement.

Er no...

Fraid so. And we call it aggregate.

In the uk gravel is uniform, and you can choose the size you want, from
about pea size to marble size. But you only (within limits) get the
size you ask for. If your 'aggregate' is well-graded from fine sand up
to pebbles then it is not what we in the uk call gravel. But it may be
suitable ballast for concrete.

How much of that mix is holding up the tin shack? :-)

None of it. I have a concrete slab directly on the ground
and there is no tin whatever involved in the walls.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm
deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would
have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill
You forgot there were 3 holes?

Doesn't 6 to 1 mix mean 6 parts sand to 1 part concrete.

Nope 6 parts gravel, 1 part cement.

Er no...

Fraid so. And we call it aggregate.

How much of that mix is holding up the tin shack? :-)

None of it. I have a concrete slab directly on the ground
and there is no tin whatever involved in the walls.

reams of your bare faced lies flushed where they belong

So none of your concrete has sand in it?

Corse it does.

Ooppsssyy!

Nope, I was just commenting on whether its ballast or gravel/aggregate,
you pathetic excuse for a lying bull**** artist.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm
deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would
have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill
You forgot there were 3 holes?

Doesn't 6 to 1 mix mean 6 parts sand to 1 part concrete.

Nope 6 parts gravel, 1 part cement.

Six parts ballast to one part cement.

It isnt ballast.

Gravel isn't ballast, but it's ballast that's used: a mixture of sand
and gravel.

Plenty of that sort of concrete has gravel, not ballast.

The gravel was in the ballast.

Wrong, as always.

Concrete is not gravel + cement.

Never said it was.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 10:12:42 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

The gravel was in the ballast.

Wrong

HAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! Get treatment, senile idiot!

Concrete is not gravel + cement.

Never

LOL Get treatment, you pathological auto-contradicting senile idiot!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 10:02:14 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Your entire stinking toll **** FLUSHED again

Like most seniles, you stink too much, senile cretin!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm
deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would
have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill
You forgot there were 3 holes?

Doesn't 6 to 1 mix mean 6 parts sand to 1 part concrete.

Nope 6 parts gravel, 1 part cement.

Er no...

Fraid so. And we call it aggregate.

In the uk gravel is uniform, and you can choose the size you want,
from about pea size to marble size. But you only (within limits)
get the size you ask for. If your 'aggregate' is well-graded from
fine sand up to pebbles then it is not what we in the uk call gravel.

Aggregate is actually crushed rock, much sharper pieces
than river gravel. And is available in a variety of sizes,
smaller than pea sized which is normally used on
driveways instead of concrete, up to rather bigger than
marble size which is what is usually used in concrete.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construction_aggregate

We only call it ballast when used under railway
lines or when its much bigger used in ships.

But it may be suitable ballast for concrete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete
No mention of ballast there, must be a uk thing.

How much of that mix is holding up the tin shack? :-)

None of it. I have a concrete slab directly on the ground
and there is no tin whatever involved in the walls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...

Fredxx wrote:

[...]

Hejehe FFS woddles :-)

Here you are no snipping needed (unlike your demented demeanour)

Quote woddles:-

"Nope 6 parts gravel, 1 part cement.*"

Adios Dumbass! :-D:-D:-D
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 10:40:56 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

In the uk gravel is uniform, and you can choose the size you want,
from about pea size to marble size. But you only (within limits)
get the size you ask for. If your 'aggregate' is well-graded from
fine sand up to pebbles then it is not what we in the uk call gravel.

Aggregate is actually crushed rock

....and totally ****ed up senile cretin from Oz knows it all better, again!
LMAO

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some gutless lying ****wit desperately cowering behind
Jim K." wrote just the **** you'd
expect from a desperately cowering lying gutless ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2018 03:59, Rod Speed wrote:
Some gutless lying ****wit desperately cowering behind
Jim K." wrote just the **** you'd
expect from a desperately cowering lying gutless ****wit.

Lost yet another argument?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message

In the uk gravel is uniform, and you can choose the size you want,
from about pea size to marble size. But you only (within limits)
get the size you ask for. If your 'aggregate' is well-graded from
fine sand up to pebbles then it is not what we in the uk call gravel.

Aggregate is actually crushed rock, much sharper pieces
than river gravel. And is available in a variety of sizes,
smaller than pea sized which is normally used on
driveways instead of concrete, up to rather bigger than
marble size which is what is usually used in concrete.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construction_aggregate

We only call it ballast when used under railway
lines or when its much bigger used in ships.

But it may be suitable ballast for concrete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete
No mention of ballast there, must be a uk thing.

Being it is a uk group it seems reasonable to suppose that UK meanings
are generally intended. It will probably make your comments more useful
if you find out what we are talking about first, before contradicting.
Just a suggestion. And you simply can't make good concrete without a
reasonable amount of fine sand-sized aggregate, wherever you get it
from.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some gutless lying ****wit desperately cowering behind
Fredxx wrote just the **** you'd
expect from a desperately cowering lying gutless ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

Only when you are too stupid to notice that it isnt just poms here.

reams of your silly **** flushed where it belongs

And you simply can't make good concrete
without a reasonable amount of fine sand-
sized aggregate, wherever you get it from.

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 14:59:57 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Some gutless lying ****wit desperately cowering behind
Jim K." wrote just the **** you'd
expect from a desperately cowering lying gutless ****wit.

You been exposed for the abnormal senile cretin that you are, again, senile
cretin? LOL

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Hayter
writes

Being it is a uk group it seems reasonable to suppose that UK meanings
are generally intended. It will probably make your comments more useful
if you find out what we are talking about first, before contradicting.
Just a suggestion. And you simply can't make good concrete without a
reasonable amount of fine sand-sized aggregate, wherever you get it
from.

Having always assumed the term came the most convenient material for
stabilising unloaded vessels, I was curious enough about the origin of
the term to look it up.

Not very helpful.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

Those who are the most stupid are those who can't see "UK.D-I-Y"

Now if I started posting on an Aussi group and whinged about UK vs Ausie
terms I would be rightly give short shrift.

Wouldn't you agree?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 21:20:34 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Some gutless lying ****wit desperately cowering behind
Fredxx wrote just the **** you'd
expect from a desperately cowering lying gutless ****wit.

Truth hurts even a senile cretin like you, eh, senile Rot? G

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 21:24:03 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Being it is a uk group it seems reasonable to suppose
that UK meanings are generally intended.

Only when you are too stupid to notice that it isnt just poms here.

1 senile Ozzie troll simply doesn't count, senile Rot!

reams of your silly **** flushed where it belongs

Lost yet another argument, senile Rot? LOL

And you simply can't make good concrete
without a reasonable amount of fine sand-
sized aggregate, wherever you get it from.

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?

Or fun exposing you for the abnormal, mentally disturbed, senile cretin that
you are? BG

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Roger Hayter
writes

Being it is a uk group it seems reasonable to suppose that UK meanings
are generally intended. It will probably make your comments more useful
if you find out what we are talking about first, before contradicting.
Just a suggestion. And you simply can't make good concrete without a
reasonable amount of fine sand-sized aggregate, wherever you get it
from.

Having always assumed the term came the most convenient material for
stabilising unloaded vessels, I was curious enough about the origin of
the term to look it up.

Not very helpful.

Ah.. i had also assumed this usage started from ballasting empty
sail ships for return voyages.... maybe even to the Antipodes?
How ironic! :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/2018 23:12, Rod Speed wrote:

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...

Concrete is not gravel + cement.

Never said it was.

It's pantomime season already...

Oh yes you did.

On 08/12/2018 at 19:18, 'Nope 6 parts gravel, 1 part cement'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

No one whinged, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

news

Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

Oh do stop whinging Peed.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Roger Hayter
writes

Being it is a uk group it seems reasonable to suppose that UK meanings
are generally intended. It will probably make your comments more useful
if you find out what we are talking about first, before contradicting.
Just a suggestion. And you simply can't make good concrete without a
reasonable amount of fine sand-sized aggregate, wherever you get it
from.

Having always assumed the term came the most convenient material for
stabilising unloaded vessels, I was curious enough about the origin of
the term to look it up.

Not very helpful.

Ah.. i had also assumed this usage started from ballasting empty
sail ships for return voyages....

Different stuff entirely, big rocks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 09/12/2018 23:12, Rod Speed wrote:

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...

Concrete is not gravel + cement.

Never said it was.

It's pantomime season already...

We'll see,,,

Oh yes you did.

On 08/12/2018 at 19:18, 'Nope 6 parts gravel, 1 part cement'.

Says he carefully deleting from the quoting the previous
claim that its 6 parts ballast, 1 part cement.

I didnt bother to nit pick on the fact that there is also some sand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2018 19:26, Rod Speed wrote:

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 09/12/2018 23:12, Rod Speed wrote:

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...

Concrete is not gravel + cement.

Never said it was.

It's pantomime season already...

We'll see,,,

Oh yes you did.

On 08/12/2018 at 19:18, 'Nope 6 parts gravel, 1 part cement'.

Says he carefully deleting from the quoting the previous
claim that its 6 parts ballast, 1 part cement.

It was myself who referred to six parts ballast, one part cement. I
didn't need to include that to show how you are, as usual, trying to
back out of more cobblers you have posted.

I didnt bother to nit pick on the fact that there is also some sand.

The amount of sand in ballast isn't of nit picking proportions.

You're wrong. You've been shown to be wrong. Time to stop embarrassing
yourself (again).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some drunken drug crazed gutless pathetic excuse
for a lying troll desperately cowering behind
Jim K.. wrote just what you'd
expect from a gutless drug crazed drunken lying troll.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 10/12/2018 19:26, Rod Speed wrote:

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 09/12/2018 23:12, Rod Speed wrote:

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...

Concrete is not gravel + cement.

Never said it was.

It's pantomime season already...

We'll see,,,

Oh yes you did.

On 08/12/2018 at 19:18, 'Nope 6 parts gravel, 1 part cement'.

Says he carefully deleting from the quoting the previous
claim that its 6 parts ballast, 1 part cement.

It was myself who referred to six parts ballast, one part cement.

Yes, you actually are that pig ignorant.

I didnt bother to nit pick on the fact that there is also some sand.

The amount of sand in ballast isn't of nit picking proportions.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 06:26:19 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

I didnąt bother to nit pick on the fact that there is also some sand.

LOL Lost yet another argument, senile idiot? tsk

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 06:01:45 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Ah.. i had also assumed this usage started from ballasting empty
sail ships for return voyages....

Different stuff entirely, big rocks.

Oh, yeah? HOW big were the rocks, senile Rot? BG

--
pamela about Rot Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 07:39:25 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Says he carefully deleting from the quoting the previous
claim that its 6 parts ballast, 1 part cement.

It was myself who referred to six parts ballast, one part cement.

Yes, you actually are that pig ignorant.

Man, are YOU senile! LOL

You definitely keep bull****ting your way into your grave, senile idiot!

--
Marland addressing bull****ting senile Rot:
"Stay in your wet paper bag you thick twit."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 07:27:49 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Some drunken drug crazed gutless pathetic excuse
for a lying troll desperately cowering behind
Jim K.. wrote just what you'd
expect from a gutless drug crazed drunken lying troll.

Lost yet another argument, senile Ozzie cretin? LOL

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Roger Hayter
writes

Being it is a uk group it seems reasonable to suppose that UK meanings
are generally intended. It will probably make your comments more useful
if you find out what we are talking about first, before contradicting.
Just a suggestion. And you simply can't make good concrete without a
reasonable amount of fine sand-sized aggregate, wherever you get it
from.

Having always assumed the term came the most convenient material for
stabilising unloaded vessels, I was curious enough about the origin of
the term to look it up.

Not very helpful.

Ah.. i had also assumed this usage started from ballasting empty
sail ships for return voyages....

Different stuff entirely, big rocks.

Course you were there won't you? Working your passage cabin
boy?... ;-);-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm
deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would
have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill
You forgot there were 3 holes?

no, there were in fact four holes.

A 0.6m x 0.6m x 0.6m gives a volume of 0.216m^3

4 holes = 0.86m^3

A 1m^3 load would be more than sufficient.

Except it is 0.6m x 0.6m x 0.06m...

And I don't think you can get readymix in that small amount.
You'd need to use the people who mix on site, but that costs
more than readymix.

I'd have used many bags of postcrete for the bulk fill and just
have a thin cap of proper concrete on top - handmixed, the
Russian can cope with that. Just give him some home-brew vodka.

It it were really 60mm wide (or deep!) then standard concrete ballast
would be too coarse. You would need specially graded small aggregate
and probably reinforcement.

If the hole is 0.06 metres deep, I was assuming that the 'posts'
actually had a square metal plate on the bottom which would keep
the post upright, so all it needs is a cap of concrete for the
situation when some drunken russian labourer reverses into one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2018 22:20, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Andrew
wrote:

If the hole is 0.06 metres deep, I was assuming that the 'posts'
actually had a square metal plate on the bottom which would keep
the post upright, so all it needs is a cap of concrete for the
situation when some drunken russian labourer reverses into one.

If it's 6cm deep, the post is going to go over if someone pushes it
with their little finger.

0.6 * 0.6 * 0.06 = 0.0216 cu m, which is 50 Kilograms.

You'd need a very strong little finger to push that over
(not forgetting the adhesion of the concrete to the ground).