Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Recommendation For First Circular Saw

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 06:12:25 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 8:32:21 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On 12/8/2018 11:17 PM, wrote:
Guess I'd suggest you abandon the circular saw thought. A drill makes sense. Its very useful for lots of situations. Hopefully it was cordless. I have and use electric drills frequently, but only in special situations. Cordless drill for 90+% of tasks. Back to saws. If it has to be an electric, powered saw, then I'd suggest a jigsaw. Can't get hurt, its not dangerous. Like a drill, a beginner with no knowledge at all can operate a jigsaw and not get hurt. It does not cut straight or smooth like a circular saw. But cutting up pallets for a compost bin it would be perfect. And with circular saws, the wood needs to be stationary and clamped down to make a good, safe cut. And you need a guide too. I know construction crews make freehand cuts in midair with circular saws. But they have a lot more skill and daring than your daughter. Or me.

I third the suggestion to abandon the saw. I got a good deal on a
circular saw about 10 years ago. I though I was going to use it for
some minor house repairs. It turned out those were done as part of a
larger contracted repair and the saw never used. Today it the saw is in
the original packaging.

While I appreciate the response, your reason for "abandoning" the circular
saw appears to be based on your very specific situation.

In a nutshell, you were going to use the saw to repair something then decided
to pay someone to do it for you. Sure, there was more to the situation than
that, but that's so far removed from "cutting up some pallets" that it
just doesn't apply.

While the jig saw does not have the Tim-The-Tool-man glamor, I vote for
a jig saw, as it does most of the cutting need by the average home owner.

Is that what you use? What model did you buy?

If you would like to get and additional gift I would look at a good
battery powered screw driver with a large selection of bits. ie differ
screw drive bits, a selection of nut driver bits, some Allen wrench, and
torque type bits. They will use that nearly every time they have to
remove a screw .

Not a bad idea, but the request was worded has "We'd like to try some
woodworking projects." Her cordless drill can be used for both woodworking
and repairs. She already uses for repairs.

While it will not be used as much as the power screw drive I would also
consider a Dremel type tool with a full complement of bits. What the
jig saw or power screw drive can not do the Dremel with the appropriate
bit will.

Also a good idea.

But cutting pallet wood would be an all-weekend jib with the dremel.

I have 1 sabre saw (jigsaw) One Sawzall, 3 circular saws, a "dremel"
and a oscilating tool (festool style "stryker" saw) as well as 3
different routers, 3 power drills, 3 lithium cordless drills, a
drill-press and a metalcutting lathe. Also a belt sander, a vibrating
sander,and a "power file" - - - -
Yes, I have more circular saws than I need - the little Rockwell is
the handiest, but the big millwaukee 8.25 inch comes in handy for
heavier jobs - and I can't bring myself to get rid of the big Skill
worm-saw - which will outcut anything short of a chain-saw. (oh - I
have 2 of them too - - - )
One router is on a small router table, one is on a circle cutting jig,
and the other is loose for miscalanious small jobs.
The sawzall is good for demolition work and also as a power
hacksaw.

And oh yes - I have a battery operated jig saw, "sawzall" and drill
in the basement with dead NiCads that I've kept around figuring I
could run them off a 12 volt car battery in a pinch --- Really just
taking up space I could really make better use of - - -

One of the handiest power hand tools is my newly aquired cordless
impact driver - use as power screwdriver or light duty impact wrench.
Also have both air and electric 1/2 inch impacts - - -

Seems youcan't have too many tools - - - -