Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Recommendation For First Circular Saw

On Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 11:34:28 AM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Yeah, I'm torn between a jig saw and a circular saw. My brain says a
decent jig saw is enough for now, but I've used my 743 so much more
than any jig saw I've owned that I'm biased. [Or is it my heart that
says a jig saw is enough? I'm always confused by which one is talking
to me. ;-) ]

When I look at a pallet (yes, we're being very specific here) I see
the deck boards that a jig saw is perfect for, then I see the
stringers which probably require a circular saw to cut to size. Then,
when I think about them building a shelf or even a book case, I can
see a jig saw eventually getting it done, but a circular getting it
done so much quicker/easier. Thus my torn-ness.

BTW I recently replaced a POS jig saw with a Bosch JS470E. What a
difference paying three times as much makes. ;-) Well worth it.

The circular saw will give you a quick and accurate cut with square
edges, while the jigsaw will take a lot longer to get the same square
edges. Jigsaw blades by their very nature tend to deflect as you try to
cut faster so you have to run the tool very slowly to get square edges.
Even a good saw with good blades will do that.

For most of my home projects, square edges and a reasonable cut speed
trumps the flexibility of a jigsaw.

Those were my thoughts exactly and the main reason I have spend countless
hours behind a circular saw and only grabbed the jig saw in very limited
situations.

I have a table saw, miter saw, band saw, circular saw and jig saw. The
table and miter saws are 1A and 1B as far as hours of use. The jig saw
is so far down the list that it can't even see the other saws. ;-)

That said, I'm still not sure that a jig saw isn't the best saw as a
"first saw". If tools weren't so "job specific" the choice would be
easy. :-(