Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Recommendation For First Circular Saw

On Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 5:38:41 AM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:
On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 20:17:43 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 8:49:51 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Christmas is coming. I'm considering buying a circular saw for my daughter.
She's 26.

Other than a drill, this will be her first real power tool. I have a Porter
Cable 743 left blade which I love. I'd buy her the same saw but it's no longer
available, other than used. Same for the 843 which I believe is the same saw
but with a brake. Same issue with PC 424 MAG, another saw in that same line.
(I think).

So, if I can't get what I'm familiar with, I'm looking for suggestions for
decent left blade circular saw. A brake would be great.

No, she is not going to start framing houses, at least not right away. ;-)
All I know really know is that she wants to start doing some woodworking
and was wondering what type of "first saw" she should get. She also
mentioned cutting up some pallets to make a compost bin.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Guess I'd suggest you abandon the circular saw thought. A drill makes sense. Its very useful for lots of situations. Hopefully it was cordless. I have and use electric drills frequently, but only in special situations. Cordless drill for 90+% of tasks. Back to saws. If it has to be an electric, powered saw, then I'd suggest a jigsaw. Can't get hurt, its not dangerous. Like a drill, a beginner with no knowledge at all can operate a jigsaw and not get hurt. It does not cut straight or smooth like a circular saw. But cutting up pallets for a compost bin it would be perfect. And with circular saws, the wood needs to be stationary and clamped down to make a good, safe cut. And you need a guide too. I know construction crews make freehand cuts in midair with circular saws. But they have a lot more skill and daring than your daughter. Or me.

I'd second the vote for a jigsaw. It's just a more versatile tool.
But get her a good one. While the barrel-grip Bosch are very good if
she has small hands she might prefer a top-handle.

I agree about getting a good one. As I mentioned to Russell, I recently
replaced a POS jig saw with a Bosch JS470E. What a difference paying three
times as much makes. ;-) Well worth it.

I'll check her hand size next time I see her. ;-)