Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fire extinguishers: smoke, fire, and kitchens

On Friday, 7 December 2018 14:10:44 UTC, Thomas Prufer wrote:

All this talk of smoke detectors in kitchens reminded me of something I saw in
the US: an automatic retrofit fire extinguisher for domestic use.

Two small tins are stuck to the bottom of the extractor hood with magnets.
Something that looks like the fuse of a firecracker sticks out the bottom of
each. A grease fire lights the fuse, and this causes a load of extinguishing
powder (baking soda?) to be dumped. Cost is ~45 US dollars a pair...

https://youtu.be/AEFXQsKb9DQ

While it is not a cure-all (for instance, it's "not for gas ranges"), it is a
simple solution, cheap, a false alarm not more damage that a considerable mess,
and overall something I would like to have thought up myself.

Thomas Prufer

I presume the fire will soon re-ignite, but it does buy time.

NT