Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Fire extinguishers: smoke, fire, and kitchens

On 07/12/2018 14:10, Thomas Prufer wrote:

While it is not a cure-all (for instance, it's "not for gas ranges"), it is a
simple solution, cheap, a false alarm not more damage that a considerable mess,
and overall something I would like to have thought up myself.

I wonder if the problem with that type of device being above the hob
means that the trigger mechanism it will become very degraded over a
short period of time with a mix of steam and atomised grease from normal
cooking. Both will carry the dust from the atmosphere and deposit it on
the fire supression device. Consider how dirty the grease filter in an
extractor hob can get.

Furthermore once the flame reaches the bottom of the extractor hob will
not the grease filter also catch fire?