Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Fire extinguishers: smoke, fire, and kitchens

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 07/12/2018 14:47, Martin Brown wrote:
On 07/12/2018 14:10, Thomas Prufer wrote:
All this talk of smoke detectors in kitchens reminded me of something I
saw in
the US: an automatic retrofit fire extinguisher for domestic use.

Two small tins are stuck to the bottom of the extractor hood with
magnets.
Something that looks like the fuse of a firecracker sticks out the
bottom of
each. A grease fire lights the fuse, and this causes a load of
extinguishing
powder (baking soda?) to be dumped. Cost is ~45 US dollars a pair...

https://youtu.be/AEFXQsKb9DQ

Wouldn't it be easier to own a normal domestic fire extinguisher...

A normal fire extinguisher needs you to notice the fire first, not put
something on the stove, because you are hungry when you get back from the
pub, then fall asleep.

Also, you need to be careful with a fire extinguisher. You don't want the
spray of CO2 from the nozzle to blow droplets off the surface of the fat,
spreading the fire. Better to discharge the extinguisher into a bucket -
being heavier than air it will stay there and you can pour it as if it was
water onto the fat from above - taking care not to set the bucket on fire
:-)

But I'm not sure how well it will work because the heat of the fire and the
hot combustion gases may prevent the CO2 from landing on the flames.