Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Fire extinguishers: smoke, fire, and kitchens

On Friday, 7 December 2018 14:47:25 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 07/12/2018 14:10, Thomas Prufer wrote:
All this talk of smoke detectors in kitchens reminded me of something I saw in
the US: an automatic retrofit fire extinguisher for domestic use.

Two small tins are stuck to the bottom of the extractor hood with magnets.
Something that looks like the fuse of a firecracker sticks out the bottom of
each. A grease fire lights the fuse, and this causes a load of extinguishing
powder (baking soda?) to be dumped. Cost is ~45 US dollars a pair...

https://youtu.be/AEFXQsKb9DQ

Wouldn't it be easier to own a normal domestic fire extinguisher. The
main thing to remember is aim low to hit the base of the fire and the
first time you ever use one be prepared for the *LOUD NOISE*.

While it is not a cure-all (for instance, it's "not for gas ranges"), it is a
simple solution, cheap, a false alarm not more damage that a considerable mess,
and overall something I would like to have thought up myself.

Chip pan fires can be relatively easily smothered but are utterly lethal
if you make the mistake of adding water. The Fire Brigade do an
impressive travelling show of how to and how *NOT* to do it.

The latter being far more entertaining to watch.

The best thing for chip pans is a fire blanket.
Does anybody have chip pans these days?