Blake Patterson

Default Just got new external door - what kind of paint do I use on it?

"Roger" wrote in message news:wOBTb.162817$Rc4.1269699@attbi_s54...
You apparently have a factory primed door. It could be an alkyd or acrylic
prime coat, but the kind doesn't matter vs what paint you chose as a finish
coat. We used exterior acrylic water based paint over our metal clad door,
which was also pre-primed. Fine sandpaper lightly first, dust off, clean and
rinse thoroughly, dry, then paint. We used semi gloss on it, as it may be
easier to keep clean vs flat or satin. We left the door slightly ajar for
several days so the rim and edge of the door would dry, and not stick once
it is closed against the weatherstripping and jamb.

It is 15 degrees F here at night - could not leave door open long...
Is it too cold to paint, in general? I _do_ want to paint it
in-place, though. The guy who put it in told me it is necessary to
paint or it will expand and not close (or open) - how long can I wait
to paint it? There appears to be primer over the exposed wood at the
sides (metal sheet on the main faces). He tells me to paint 5 sides -
not 6 -- not the bottom as it won't properly dry in his experience
what with the weatherstripping @ bottom, rubber.

Any opinions appreciated. Thanks. How long can I wait? (Till
spring?)

bp