Posted to uk.d-i-y
FMurtz FMurtz is offline

Default Cord for reading glasses

Rod Speed wrote:

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
NY wrote:

"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
Next time you change your glasses prescription get varifocals or
bi-focals
and you will not have to keep taking them off.

I suggest you don't rush into getting varifocals. I was offered them,
but I
could not get used to them: I found that as I turned my head from
left to
right, vertical objects swayed from side to side (eg they went from
several
degrees left of vertical on one side of my field of view, to several
degrees
right of vertical on the other side):

\ on one side of field of vision
| in centre of vision
/ on other side of vision

The optician checked her sight test and measurements of my pupil
position
and eye spacing and gave me another set of glasses which were just as
bad,
so it wasn't just due to duff measurements.

That was for a fairly mild distance and reading glasses, without (as
far as
I know) any complications like astigmatism.

I couldn't have driven in them, even though they allowed me to see
road and
dashboard in sharp focus at the same time, because as soon as I moved my
head or a car went past, the geometric distortion of everything made me
dizzy.

After the second pair, Specsavers offered me separate single-vision
pairs of
glasses at no extra cost. They were most intrigued by the symptom that I
described because they'd never had anyone report it before with
varifocals.

I honestly think they were being economical with the truth there, many
people have similar problems - I certainly did!* Walking gave me vertigo
and nausea.

Interesting. Just on the verge of considering them myself. Up
till now I have used single focus exclusively, but particularly
when out shopping, and to a lesser extent when driving,
I* really do need some form of bifocal or varifocal particularly
where its not convenient to swap single focals.

What did you end up doing instead, multiple single focals
or bifocals. Big advantage of single focals is that they are
very cheap from china. And both varifocals and bifocals
arent that easy to do by mail order because its not trivial
to work out where you want the change vertically and not
cheap even from china to just try some alternatives and
use the ones that work best.

Tho I spose now that its become clear that I will never
spend my vast accumulated wealth now before I cark
it that I really should just pay the local bricks and mortar
place to get it right eventually by trial and error at their
cost with the trials and just pay their stupid price for
the one that works best.

The other complication in my case is that the last time
I got an eye check done, they announced that I would
need cataract surgery soon in one eye and it doesn’t
make a lot of sense to spend a lot for a short time of
use. They were very keen to monster me into paying
for surgery now even tho I have no symptoms, likely
they do get a commission on that here. The GP is
convinced that its all a giant scam that’s been going
on for decades now and that’s the reason I don’t
plan to do it until I have some visible downsides.

If you want to experiment, go ahead but I went cross eyed trying to use
varifocals ( may be they boo booed) but in the end they made me bifocals
(Mail order) I just had cataract surgery on medicare (was needed) and
went with bifocals again