Old December 5th 18, 02:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cord for reading glasses

As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read.
I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style.
I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my glasses
slipping off or snapping. I've bought loads from ebay sellers, all crap.
Can anybody recommend a site for heavy duty cords? One that will post them
to me.
Screwfix are asking for over 6 quid delivered! This is a bit much.

Old December 5th 18, 02:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read.
I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style.
I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my glasses
slipping off or snapping. I've bought loads from ebay sellers, all crap.
Can anybody recommend a site for heavy duty cords? One that will post them
to me.
Screwfix are asking for over 6 quid delivered! This is a bit much.

Many RL opticians sell them. The ones with a loop at the end going
through a little plastic toggle seem to last a few years, even if one is
always catching them on things.

--

Roger Hayter
Old December 5th 18, 03:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
On 05/12/2018 13:09, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read.
I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style.
I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my
glasses slipping off or snapping. I've bought loads from ebay
sellers, all crap. Can anybody recommend a site for heavy duty
cords? One that will post them to me.
Screwfix are asking for over 6 quid delivered! This is a bit much.

DIY something.

Bill

That's a thought.
I do have some old shoe laces somewhere.

Old December 5th 18, 03:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 December 2018 13:09:39 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read.
I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style.
I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my glasses
slipping off or snapping. I've bought loads from ebay sellers, all crap.
Can anybody recommend a site for heavy duty cords? One that will post them
to me.
Screwfix are asking for over 6 quid delivered! This is a bit much.

You could try stealing someones security card that's on a lanyard and use that they are pretty strong and some are made of beads :-)
..

Old December 5th 18, 03:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 1:09:39 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read.
I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style.
I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my glasses
slipping off or snapping. I've bought loads from ebay sellers, all crap.
Can anybody recommend a site for heavy duty cords? One that will post them
to me.
Screwfix are asking for over 6 quid delivered! This is a bit much.

Even though I too am starting to get on in years, I am super-sporty and
healthy ;-). I use similar 'elasticated sports straps' to keep my glasses staying on, loosely, when I am playing squash racquets.

I agree that most of the ones you can buy are poor. Also, they tend to be
adjustable, whereas I know exactly the size I want. Given the sweaty
environment they are used in, they rust and go to pieces quite often. Even
when buying multiples of the best I can find on eBay, I go through them at a
rate of knots. So I have a d-i-y plan.

This involves (a) buying 8mm black elastic webbing, (b) getting o-rings of
a suitable diameter (15--20mm), and (c) using some thin brass wire, a bit like
the individual strands of picture hanging wire.

I will then:
- cut the webbing into lengths previously decided upon
- sew a small loop into each end, with one o-ring held within each end
- squeeze the o-ring 'flat' and wrap some of the brass wire around it,
like a spring almost, so that a small loop of the o-ring pokes out at
the 'far' end. This is where you would put the arm of your glasses
- put a tiny dab of solder, or maybe epoxy, on the brass wire to
hold it together.

I've had this plan for a while - I clearly must have a lot of time on
my hands (not)...

J^n
Old December 5th 18, 03:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read.
I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style.
I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my
glasses slipping off or snapping. I've bought loads from ebay
sellers, all crap. Can anybody recommend a site for heavy duty
cords? One that will post them to me.
Screwfix are asking for over 6 quid delivered! This is a bit much.

Many RL opticians sell them. The ones with a loop at the end going
through a little plastic toggle seem to last a few years, even if one
is always catching them on things.

The cords from Specsavers and Asda did not last for very long.
I need industrial cords, but can't find any.

Old December 5th 18, 03:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your time and effort.
All I need is something that will not break and will hold my glasses, not
how to diy a Starship :-)

Old December 5th 18, 04:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Very small fishing line snaps
Old December 5th 18, 04:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Next time you change your glasses prescription get varifocals or bi-focals and you will not have to keep taking them off.