Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Cord for reading glasses

NY wrote:

"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
Next time you change your glasses prescription get varifocals or bi-focals
and you will not have to keep taking them off.

I suggest you don't rush into getting varifocals. I was offered them, but I
could not get used to them: I found that as I turned my head from left to
right, vertical objects swayed from side to side (eg they went from several
degrees left of vertical on one side of my field of view, to several degrees
right of vertical on the other side):

\ on one side of field of vision
| in centre of vision
/ on other side of vision

The optician checked her sight test and measurements of my pupil position
and eye spacing and gave me another set of glasses which were just as bad,
so it wasn't just due to duff measurements.

That was for a fairly mild distance and reading glasses, without (as far as
I know) any complications like astigmatism.

I couldn't have driven in them, even though they allowed me to see road and
dashboard in sharp focus at the same time, because as soon as I moved my
head or a car went past, the geometric distortion of everything made me
dizzy.

After the second pair, Specsavers offered me separate single-vision pairs of
glasses at no extra cost. They were most intrigued by the symptom that I
described because they'd never had anyone report it before with varifocals.

snip

I honestly think they were being economical with the truth there, many
people have similar problems - I certainly did! Walking gave me vertigo
and nausea.

--

Roger Hayter