Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Pounder Esquire Mr Pounder Esquire is offline

Default Cord for reading glasses

jkn wrote:
On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 1:09:39 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read.
I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style.
I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my
glasses slipping off or snapping. I've bought loads from ebay
sellers, all crap. Can anybody recommend a site for heavy duty
cords? One that will post them to me.
Screwfix are asking for over 6 quid delivered! This is a bit much.

Even though I too am starting to get on in years, I am super-sporty
and
healthy ;-). I use similar 'elasticated sports straps' to keep my
glasses staying on, loosely, when I am playing squash racquets.

I agree that most of the ones you can buy are poor. Also, they tend
to be
adjustable, whereas I know exactly the size I want. Given the sweaty
environment they are used in, they rust and go to pieces quite often.
Even
when buying multiples of the best I can find on eBay, I go through
them at a
rate of knots. So I have a d-i-y plan.

This involves (a) buying 8mm black elastic webbing, (b) getting
o-rings of
a suitable diameter (15--20mm), and (c) using some thin brass wire, a
bit like
the individual strands of picture hanging wire.

I will then:
- cut the webbing into lengths previously decided upon
- sew a small loop into each end, with one o-ring held within each
end
- squeeze the o-ring 'flat' and wrap some of the brass wire around
it, like a spring almost, so that a small loop of the o-ring
pokes out at the 'far' end. This is where you would put the arm
of your glasses - put a tiny dab of solder, or maybe epoxy, on the
brass wire to hold it together.

I've had this plan for a while - I clearly must have a lot of time on
my hands (not)...

J^n

Thanks for your time and effort.
All I need is something that will not break and will hold my glasses, not
how to diy a Starship :-)