Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Standard Alkaline Batteries vs "Premium" Alkaline Batteries

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 15:50:08 -0500, Wade Garrett wrote:

My supply of C and D alkaline batteries for various low use household
devices is about gone and needs to be replenished.

It's been a while since I've bought alkalines and I notice that battery
makers now offer several flavors of "premium" alkaline batteries at
increased cost with names thought up by the marketing guys- super,
premium, max, industrial, performance plus, etc.

Many of the standard alkalines now advertise a 10 year shelf life which
is a good feature for me as most of the devices like flashlights, etc.,
live largely unused and untended in desk drawers, tool boxes, glove
compartments, etc. Sometimes the batteries go dead- or leak and ruin the
device because I neglected to check it periodically.

I'm wondering if it's worth paying more for the "premium" alkalines or
just go with the lower priced standard alkalines?

You might consider doing the transition to rechargeable AA and AAA.
Good ones. Eneloop or Sony. They pay off for everything I've thrown them at.
All my flashlights are LED with AA or AAA. Never had one leak.