Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Standard Alkaline Batteries vs "Premium" Alkaline Batteries

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 15:50:08 -0500, Wade Garrett
wrote:

My supply of C and D alkaline batteries for various low use household
devices is about gone and needs to be replenished.
It's been a while since I've bought alkalines and I notice that battery
makers now offer several flavors of "premium" alkaline batteries at
increased cost with names thought up by the marketing guys- super,
premium, max, industrial, performance plus, etc.
Many of the standard alkalines now advertise a 10 year shelf life which
is a good feature for me as most of the devices like flashlights, etc.,
live largely unused and untended in desk drawers, tool boxes, glove
compartments, etc. Sometimes the batteries go dead- or leak and ruin the
device because I neglected to check it periodically.
I'm wondering if it's worth paying more for the "premium" alkalines or
just go with the lower priced standard alkalines?

I suspect that " 10 year shelf life " actually means
- sealed in the package - ie : not installed in the device.

With the advent of LED I've eliminated C and D cells.
except for a funky chrome vintage decorative flashlight.
I avoid no-name batteries ; I look for a good sale price on
the brand-name ones and buy what I think I'll need for
one year or so ..
ie: a great price on a 5-year-supply - can backfire when they
are duds or leakers .. or not used ..
Industrial Supply places - like Grainger - will sell you a good
battery but they don't compete with Costco / Walmart ..
John T.