Posted to rec.woodworking
Just Wondering[_3_] Just Wondering[_3_] is offline

Default Best Image Posting Site

On 11/27/2018 5:52 PM, Markem wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 19:19:20 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 14:27:03 -0700, Just Wondering wrote:

On 11/27/2018 12:53 PM, Eli the Bearded wrote:
In rec.woodworking, Bill wrote:
wrote:
... binary newsgroups were dropped from my usenet server
- and many many other servers - about 10 - 15 years ago.
Paying for a newsfeed that provides binaries - just to post or view
a few pics per year ? - not ,
And that's precisely why you have the choices that there are.
I send Wikipedia some money around this time every year because I
appreciate what they do. If you choose not to show any support
for things, don't be surprised when they disappear.

I pay for a Usenet feed, but it does not include a meaningful selection
of binary newsgroups. So don't think that it's only Usenet freeloaders
who have that problem.

I use usenet-news.net, there are others that are similar.
It sells access not by the month, but by blocks of download
data that don't expire. The bigger block you buy, the cheaper
it gets. You can buy
2GB for $2
5GB for $3
10GB for $5
20GB for $8
30GB for $10
50GB for $12
100GB for $15
200GB for $22
500GB for $52
1024 GB for $92.
It has most if not all binary newsgroups, with postings
going back to 2008. If you are an infrequent downloader,
even $5 for 10GB of data might last you for years.

Thanks for the tip. I thought of signing up with a similar service
a few years ago, but the online payment procedure was a bit
scary - as is this one -
Q: Which payment options do you offer to buy quota Blocks?
A: The current options are to buy blocks using a Credit Card, (via the
Stripe.com system) or via Amazon

... huh ?
John T.

I use giganews for usenet, but they have expanded services. I have an
old account for $2.95 a month for 1 gig of downloads.

But 10.95 or 21.95 for lifetime?
https://www.giganews.com/why.html

As I said, there are a good number of low-cost usenet servers.
I looked at your giganews website, it says, "3+ years of binary
retention". I'm getting 10 years of binary archives (going back
to 2008) on usenet-news. Have you had actual experience with
giganews binary retention?