Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Why do people have garden gates?

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 01:42:56 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 23:48:48 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 22:30:09 -0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On 24/11/2018 22:38, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the silly 3 foot high
ones
that anyone can open. They clearly don't stop burglars as you just
hop
over it or open it.

Keep the dog in?

Train the dog instead?

Easier said than done with that. Lot easier to have a gate.

Easier to train a dog than a cat.

Not for that particular thing.

You can train them to do most things (that they're capable of).

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that
you have never ever trained a dog to do that.

Obviously driving a car would be difficult.

In fact most people I know have a dog which doesn't wander off.

We arent taking about wandering off, we're talking
about the dog checking what other dogs have been
past and ****ed on their fence/hedge etc.

They can open the front door when I go to their house, and we can stand
chatting with the door wide open and either no garden gate or an open
gate. The dog just tends to hang around us, or wander around its own
garden.

Its different when its in the front yard by itself.

Even those that wander off usually return immediately their name is
called.

And when its in the front yard by itself there is no one to do that.

I always thought dogs were the stupidest animals on earth until I got
cats.

Yeah, it's a real rocket scientist cat that recognises its own name.
Very rare that dogs don't.

Mine seem to know their names (and there are 7 in the house).

No they don't, you arent testing that properly.

It could just be which one I'm looking or yelling towards, and which one
just knocked something over and knows it's in trouble.

Yep, that's all it is.

Ok, I just tried calling one by name, and it looked towards me. I then
repeated the exercise by calling the wrong name. It still looked at me.
I guess you were right.