Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Why do people have garden gates?

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 00:37:02 -0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 25/11/2018 21:58, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 21:55:00 -0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 24/11/2018 23:56, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 22:47:57 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

Bruce Farquhar wrote

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the
silly 3 foot high ones that anyone can open.

Some are that anal.

Probably.

Some keep the dog in.

A few, but 10 times as many gates here as dogs.

They keep out the dogs of those owners that decide to excercise them
off
the lead and thus allow them to run into anyone's garden, **** on the
grass and run out again before the owner even catches up with them.

They also discourage other people's children from using the gardens
during games and damaging plants.

I'm glad I don't live where you do. But I see gates in nice areas too.

We're in a pretty nice are, but some dog owners are just awful people.

The only awful dog owners I see are in the less desirable areas. If
anyone didn't control their dog around here, the other neighbours would
very quickly fall out with them, report them, beat them up, etc.

Yeah, that's how slums/council sink estates operate.
And the worst of them have pit bulls that eat your dog.

We actually don't have gates (the drive being too short to close them
once the car is in, unless they are illegally opened out, over the
pavement),

Where do you live? In the UK that isn't illegal, or it's never enforced,
because I see it all the time where space is tight. Of course you'd only
get into trouble if the catch failed and the things swung open and
obstructed or harmed other people or vehicles.

but there have been a few times that I have wished that we did.

Sliding gate?

Much harder for technoklutzes to do.

There is always a small percentage of dog owners that will "walk"
their dog by letting it off the lead and strolling along, letting the
dog roam ahead. They are the same sort of owner that let the dog make a
mess on the grass verges and doesn't clean it up, despite many
passengers having to access cars via the verges and being unable to see
what's there in the dark; those that walk the dogs on the playing fields
where people will later be playing football or rugby; or those that have
dogs, but leave them alone all day, barking, whining, fretting and
annoying the neighbours.

If that became a problem here, I'd film it to find the owner, then collect
the **** and deposit it through the letterbox of the culprit.

And they'd have it on their security camera
and get the cops to **** you over.

They'd get the picture.

Of you doing that.

I have no complaint at all with the responsible owners, as their dogs
cause no bother to anyone.

Ever tried pushing something through a letterbox to find your finger
bleeding?

Nope, we arent stupid enough to have
letterboxes in our front doors that anyone
can shove anything they like into our houses.

The next time I went back there I used a chisel to push it through, the
dog made a rather upset sound :-)