Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Why do people have garden gates?

"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 23:15:43 -0000, DerbyBorn
wrote:

Likewise here, just laziness. There is a busy regular bus route along
the road, at the end of my street. A good half mile of that is
occupied by large detached and semi- detached houses, these share a
long access road at the rear and a have large-ish rear gardens with
garages and parking built on them. Do they use the rear to park, not
likely...

They park out front, usually in a continuous row of near 1/2 mile of
parked vehicles, causing absolute chaos for traffic. Cars usually
manage to somehow get through, but buses really struggle. I have even
regularly seen them incredibly park on both sides of the road, making
it a real struggle for buses, sometimes impossible.

But do the planners try to accept that people like to park out front? No!

I don't understand this parking at the back nonsense. Is this council
estates we're talking about? They mostly seem to have been built before
the car was invented. They have stupid systems where everyone parks in
the middle of a square of houses, but the front doors are on the outside.
So a postman walks round the outside to post through the letterboxes on
the front doors, which are on a path. But if a courier wants to deliver
something, he either has to run 200 yards round the outside of the block
from where he parked, or go through their private back garden and knock on
the back door, shocking the naked woman who just got out of the shower.

In civilised places like my street, you access the house from the front,
where the road is, where the front door with the letterbox is, where the
driveway is. The back garden does not have an exit, it borders onto the
back garden of the house in the next street, with a fence or hedge to
seperate them.

That's the normal arrangement here, but the older places
do have a lane instead.

Cars do not park on the road apart from buses/taxis/postmen.

Some do here. My neighbour across the road
normally has one car parked on the road, one
on his front lawn and another in the driveway.

The place next door to him used to be owned
by a mate of mine who has now moved to
Canberra and a mate of his bought it and
rents it out. Even tho it has a 3 car wide carport
a couple of the tenants park on the street.

Your own car lives in your drive or garage where it belongs.

Not always,