Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Why do people have garden gates?

On 25/11/2018 21:58, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 21:55:00 -0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 24/11/2018 23:56, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 22:47:57 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

Bruce Farquhar wrote

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the
silly 3 foot high ones that anyone can open.

Some are that anal.

Probably.

Some keep the dog in.

A few, but 10 times as many gates here as dogs.

They keep out the dogs of those owners that decide to excercise them off
the lead and thus allow them to run into anyone's garden, **** on the
grass and run out again before the owner even catches up with them.

They also discourage other people's children from using the gardens
during games and damaging plants.

I'm glad I don't live where you do.* But I see gates in nice areas too.

We're in a pretty nice are, but some dog owners are just awful people.
We actually don't have gates (the drive being too short to close them
once the car is in, unless they are illegally opened out, over the
pavement), but there have been a few times that I have wished that we
did. There is always a small percentage of dog owners that will "walk"
their dog by letting it off the lead and strolling along, letting the
dog roam ahead. They are the same sort of owner that let the dog make a
mess on the grass verges and doesn't clean it up, despite many
passengers having to access cars via the verges and being unable to see
what's there in the dark; those that walk the dogs on the playing fields
where people will later be playing football or rugby; or those that have
dogs, but leave them alone all day, barking, whining, fretting and
annoying the neighbours.

I have no complaint at all with the responsible owners, as their dogs
cause no bother to anyone.

SteveW