Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Bruce Farquhar Bruce Farquhar is offline

Default Why do people have garden gates?

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 09:45:51 -0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Brian Gaff brought next idea :
Actually I'd like to make all people have fences and gates. Down my street so
many people have made their front gardens into car parks that trying to do
as i used to just a few short years ago, shoreline a fence line to get to the
post box or the shops is now an obstacle course of wide open spaces, cars
that overhang the premises and stupidly placed wheelie bins. Its like a
nightmare for the blind. Now if the front was the only place to put a car,
I'd say fine, just put a little raised strip along the boundary, but no, all
the houses in my street have gardens and roads at the rear, most of the
gardens being over 100 ft long. Plenty of room for a car or two. Its
laziness. I call it the Thunderbirds solution. I'd imagine if they could
just step into an alcove and slide down into the driving seat than that would
be what they would install.

Likewise here, just laziness. There is a busy regular bus route along
the road, at the end of my street. A good half mile of that is occupied
by large detached and semi- detached houses, these share a long access
road at the rear and a have large-ish rear gardens with garages and
parking built on them. Do they use the rear to park, not likely...

They park out front, usually in a continuous row of near 1/2 mile of
parked vehicles, causing absolute chaos for traffic. Cars usually
manage to somehow get through, but buses really struggle. I have even
regularly seen them incredibly park on both sides of the road, making
it a real struggle for buses, sometimes impossible.

Buses are the root cause of most annoyances on the road. They're too slow and too big.