Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Bruce Farquhar Bruce Farquhar is offline

Default Why do people have garden gates?

Why don't you have a guide dog? If I was blind there's no way I'd venture outside without assistance. There's only so much that your hearing and a white stick can tell you about your surroundings. How do you avoid stepping in dog **** for example? And I wonder if guide dogs steer the blind around that?

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 09:20:26 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Actually I'd like to make all people have fences and gates. Down my street
so many people have made their front gardens into car parks that trying to
do as i used to just a few short years ago, shoreline a fence line to get to
the post box or the shops is now an obstacle course of wide open spaces,
cars that overhang the premises and stupidly placed wheelie bins. Its like a
nightmare for the blind. Now if the front was the only place to put a car,
I'd say fine, just put a little raised strip along the boundary, but no, all
the houses in my street have gardens and roads at the rear, most of the
gardens being over 100 ft long. Plenty of room for a car or two. Its
laziness. I call it the Thunderbirds solution. I'd imagine if they could
just step into an alcove and slide down into the driving seat than that
would be what they would install.
Bah Humbug.
Brian