View Single Post
  #113   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
external usenet poster

Default Why do people have garden gates?

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 23:15:43 -0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Likewise here, just laziness. There is a busy regular bus route along
the road, at the end of my street. A good half mile of that is
occupied by large detached and semi- detached houses, these share a
long access road at the rear and a have large-ish rear gardens with
garages and parking built on them. Do they use the rear to park, not
likely...

They park out front, usually in a continuous row of near 1/2 mile of
parked vehicles, causing absolute chaos for traffic. Cars usually
manage to somehow get through, but buses really struggle. I have even
regularly seen them incredibly park on both sides of the road, making
it a real struggle for buses, sometimes impossible.

But do the planners try to accept that people like to park out front? No!

I don't understand this parking at the back nonsense. Is this council estates we're talking about? They mostly seem to have been built before the car was invented. They have stupid systems where everyone parks in the middle of a square of houses, but the front doors are on the outside. So a postman walks round the outside to post through the letterboxes on the front doors, which are on a path. But if a courier wants to deliver something, he either has to run 200 yards round the outside of the block from where he parked, or go through their private back garden and knock on the back door, shocking the naked woman who just got out of the shower.

In civilised places like my street, you access the house from the front, where the road is, where the front door with the letterbox is, where the driveway is. The back garden does not have an exit, it borders onto the back garden of the house in the next street, with a fence or hedge to seperate them. Cars do not park on the road apart from buses/taxis/postmen. Your own car lives in your drive or garage where it belongs.