Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Why do people have garden gates?

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news
On 24/11/2018 23:56, Bruce Farquhar wrote:
On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 22:47:57 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

Bruce Farquhar wrote

I'm not talking about big locked ones, just the
silly 3 foot high ones that anyone can open.

Some are that anal.

Probably.

Some keep the dog in.

A few, but 10 times as many gates here as dogs.

They keep out the dogs of those owners that decide to excercise them off
the lead and thus allow them to run into anyone's garden, **** on the
grass and run out again before the owner even catches up with them.

Yeah, I got conned into stuffing letterboxes with local council
election flyers when a mate of mine was running for the local
council. Our letterboxes are all on the front fence line, not
in the front door. Knew the ****ing great alsatian would
love to come with me. I never had him on a lead, he much
preferred to go where he liked. Came to one place with a
absolutely immaculately groomed big front garden with
the old bugger farting around with some of the flowers.
I used to feed the dog the dry dog food which produces
enormous turds due to the indigestible cereals in the food.

Needless to say the dog chose his immaculate lawn
to drop an enormous turd right in the middle of it.
I thought the old bugger was gunna have a heart
attack on the spot. I just grinned and stuffed his
letterbox. Doubt we actually got his vote.

They also discourage other people's children from using the gardens during
games and damaging plants.

Wouldn't stop my neighbours kids. They loved my jungle
and my trees that left their own trees for dead. One of the
girls managed to fall out of one with ruler in her mouth.
Another boy managed to **** over one tree so badly
that it never grew straight again. The stump is still there
40 years later.