Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Why do people have garden gates?

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 23:03:04 +1100, FMurtz
wrote:

soup wrote:
On 25/11/2018 03:19, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 01:51:01 +0000, soup
wrote:

On 25/11/2018 01:20, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

because in the UK just about everyone and his dog [and cat] has a
right to wander around a chaps property.

********.

*From :-A government website, about as definitive as it gets

https://www.gov.uk/right-of-way-open...-right-to-roam

"*** Excepted land

*** On access land some areas remain private (‘excepted land’). You
don’t
*** have the right to access these areas, even if they appear on a
map of
******* open access land.

** Excepted land includes:

***** houses, buildings and the land they’re on (such as courtyards)
***** land used to grow crops
***** building sites and land that’s being developed
***** parks and gardens
***** golf courses and racecourses
***** railways and tramways
***** working quarries*** "

There is a subtle difference in your definition of access.

To roam is to enter a property without purpose, this is not a right.

To wander is different inasmuch a meter reader who is one of those
that will be allowed access can wander from room to room looking for a
meter.

Note the "'ALLOWED' access".* The only people allowed access without the
homeowners permission are (I believe ) crown bailiffs and the police
force (sure there are conditions there) all others need the homeowners
permission.

*You wander into someone's house (without their permission) and see how
long it is until the police arrest you .

I suppose it depends on the jurisdiction but I think you would find that
any one is allowed entry up to the front door unless steps are taken to
stop this.

Hense the "garden gate" - it is delineating the point where free
access is restricted..

The UK does not have the property rights than the US does, but there
is still the concept of "private property". A blike can't just pitch a
tent in your front lawn without permission.