Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
FMurtz FMurtz is offline

Default Why do people have garden gates?

soup wrote:
On 25/11/2018 03:19, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 01:51:01 +0000, soup
wrote:

On 25/11/2018 01:20, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

because in the UK just about everyone and his dog [and cat] has a
right to wander around a chaps property.

********.

Â*From :-A government website, about as definitive as it gets

https://www.gov.uk/right-of-way-open...-right-to-roam

"Â*Â*Â* Excepted land

Â*Â*Â* On access land some areas remain private (€˜excepted land). You
dont
Â*Â*Â* have the right to access these areas, even if they appear on a
map of
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* open access land.

Â*Â* Excepted land includes:

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* houses, buildings and the land theyre on (such as courtyards)
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* land used to grow crops
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* building sites and land thats being developed
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* parks and gardens
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* golf courses and racecourses
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* railways and tramways
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* working quarriesÂ*Â*Â* "

There is a subtle difference in your definition of access.

To roam is to enter a property without purpose, this is not a right.

To wander is different inasmuch a meter reader who is one of those
that will be allowed access can wander from room to room looking for a
meter.

Note the "'ALLOWED' access".Â* The only people allowed access without the
homeowners permission are (I believe ) crown bailiffs and the police
force (sure there are conditions there) all others need the homeowners
permission.

Â*You wander into someone's house (without their permission) and see how
long it is until the police arrest you .

I suppose it depends on the jurisdiction but I think you would find that
any one is allowed entry up to the front door unless steps are taken to
stop this.