Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I drill into my cinderblocks exterior wall in my basement

On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 03:44:03 GMT, Sarah
m wrote:

I am trying to insulate my basement walls. They are cinderblock and I have had
no leaking or moisture issues. My question is can I drill into the cinderblock
to hang the framing wood so I can hang drywall or will this cause problems
drilling to cinderblocks. I am using insulation foam then 1x4 over the foam
boards so I can then attach the drywall to the board. What screws/nails do I
use?

You can either use a shot pin gun or an air nailer with "hard" nails
(fast) or tap con screws (slow). If the block is dry you can even use
construction adhesive, probably the easiest. If there is any
significant moisture in the block some adhesives will not work well
but poly urethane seems to like some moisture.
The furring in my house (circa 1963) was put up with "cut" nails
(those bluish looking flat guys with the square end) but that is a lot
of hammering for a less than perfect connection. You need a big hammer
and try to sink it with one big swing. Tapping it in will not hold.