Fraser

Default Replacement picture tube out of warranty?

Hope the weird posting doesn't confuse anyone, pulling all the techy stuff
into one place:

"Chris Street" wrote in message
The problem is that now and again the green gun overloads, filling the
screen with a green zig-zag pattern, then the TV shuts down.

That's not a tube fault. The line driver or frame flyback is up the
spout. Failures of the tube itself are very rare - it's always the high
voltage control circuits that tend to have problems.

"Andy Cuffe" wrote in message
It sounds like a heater to cathode short in the green gun. This can
usually be worked around by isolating the heaters from ground. I've
done it many times in other TVs with good results. If you can't get a
new CRT for a reasonable price someone may be able to try this.

What Andy said. :-) That's exactly what the guy at the repair shop said, and
they are waiting for me to get back to them on what the
retailer/manufacturer say.

The TV has always had a green tint as well, as if the bias was way off.
Tried using the service menu once to bring it down, but there was no change,
so I set it back to it's original setting. Don't know if that's related, but
worth a mention.

email me with the TV model and I'll ask a friend who does this sort of
thing what the cost to the retailer would be - may be handy to know.

Cool, that would be handy! It's a Toshiba 32W8DB.

Cheers,

Fraser.