Posted to alt.home.repair
arlen michael holder arlen michael holder is offline

Default What useful thing does BAKING SODA actually do in home repair?

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 05:41:47 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

But baking soda is very readily available, most homes have it
and its cheap and safe to use around the house so its hardly
surprising that you do see it recommended for deodorising.

Hi Rod Speed,
This is true that baking soda is cheap & readily available.

But its completely trivial to try baking soda with something
smelly and see if it works. Tad radical, I realise.

As I said, I have a five pound Costco bag of the stuff.
I've had it for YEARS.

There's even an open tray of it my wife put in the frig to control odors.
It does nothing (AFAICT) but take up room best left for food!

But don't tell my wife that. (She doesn't understand chemistry.)

Even sillier than you usually manage. There is no difference with
the smells most want to get rid of from their fridge or kitchen.

Why is US deodorant legally quite different than US anti-perspirant then?

o But if it did work it would only work on a small variety of acidic odors

You havent established that only a small variety of smells are acidic.

Rod Speed ...

I provided chemistry-related references backing up EVERYTHING I said.
Everything.

There's nothing I said that isn't backed up by the chemistry references.
Where do your counter claims come from, Rod Speed?

o And, even so, ANY weakly basic compound would work as well

But it¢s the most readily available, stupid.

It's interesting that the moment you find that your imaginary belief system
is threatened by facts, you resort to childish ad hominem attacks.

I don't mind you having a counter opinion, but when you counter referenced
facts with merely your counter opinion (interspersed with insults), then I
realize that you must feel threatened by the facts.

I'm sorry you may feel that your belief system is threatened by facts.
But they're still facts.

You're welcome to a counter argument, based on facts, but where are your
facts, Rod Speed?