Posted to alt.home.repair
arlen michael holder arlen michael holder is offline

Default What useful thing does BAKING SODA actually do in home repair?

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 21:47:22 -0700, rbowman wrote:

Notice that, if this is correct, ANY alkaline powder would work as well.

Most would not be amphoteric substances.

I took organic, but it was in the 60s, so, I need to look that up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphoterism
"In chemistry, an amphoteric compound is a molecule or ion
that can react both as an acid and as a base."

My chemistry is rusty, where I remember in the previous post that baking
soda was pretty bad at being an acid, so it's not really amphoteric, most
likely (I think).

Certainly the baking soda compound is NOT mentioned in that Wikipedia
article on Amphoteric Substances. A bit more googling shows it's likely
not amphoteric.

Anyway, even if it was, it's still gotta have more surface area than what
is typically found in an open box stuck in the refrigerator. I would think
you'd have to wipe it as a paste on every surface to have enough surface
area to do anything to those odors that it "can" react with to turn into
salts (and, of those, there are extremely few, it seems).

I'll keep looking though, as I just care about the answer.