Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default What useful thing does BAKING SODA actually do in home repair?

On 11/16/2018 07:31 PM, arlen michael holder wrote:
How? What's the chemistry?
This thread is about chemistry.

Sodium bicarbonate is amphoteric. In a refrigerator odors from lactic or
acetic acid can be neutralized as well as ammonia based odors. Consider
one of the fouler smelling substances, butyric acid. The reaction yields
sodium butyrate which isn't volatile.

I'll agree the box in the refrigerator seems suspect. If my refrigerator
stunk, I'd go for more surface area. otoh, when used on a carpet, you
spread it out, broom it in, and vacuum it up sometime later. I'll let
you determine the chemical reactions involved with decomposing urea
after the cat ****es in the rug.