m Ransley

Default Looking for Ways to Reduce Electricity Usage (Possibly SolarCe...

You say you use 28 kwh but im sure you mean 2800 kwh and at 200.00 a
month you would be paying apx .07 c US for electricity. Alot of juice.
First get a Kill- A - Watt meter at Radio Shack. and do an audit,
Refrigerators do go bad and can consume alot more than rated, ex. low on
freon. A short in your service can occur giving a constant drain. And
you say that that your bills are up 250% ?
2800 kwh x .07 = 196.00 US
5000kwh x .02 = 100.00 US Well unless your rates went up 250%
which i dought you have other problems. A bad meter or more likely bad
apliances
A new energy star frige can cost 35.00 yearly to run for a Sears 19 cu
ft . at .08 kwh US. You are paying maybe .07 kwh.
At the rated 417 KWH x .07 = 29.19 yearly or 2.43 monthly. A large
side by side can cost 20 a month if its 15 yrs old. Side by sides are
less efficient. I just tested my 19 cu ft Sears on a kill- a- watt and
the monthly figure was 21 KWH almost half the Gov test, or for a cost
of 1.30 a month. Quite a savings over 20 a month. But its winter,
cooler in the house, and the test is a 4 person test.
Generators at your KWH cost will cost 5x to 7 x to produce
electricity, Dont forget Gen cost, interest lost, depreciaton- gen
life, and maintenance.
At alt. Energy . Homepower there are alot of Off Grid people who know
systems.