Jim Elbrecht

Default Looking for Ways to Reduce Electricity Usage (Possibly Solar Cells)

Except for the adventure of it all, I think you'd be well advised to
get a meter and find out exactly how much your computers [and other
circuits] are using before spending a lot of time & money on
alternatives.

"Mark & Mary Ann Weiss" wrote:

I'm looking at $200/mo electric bills on average, even though I have stopped
using many heavy-draw appliances.

And have you eliminated any possible wiring problems?

-snip-

We're saving to replace our 1962-vintage HotPoint refrigerator (which is
still working fine) with a new Energy Star rated fridge.

Just as a data-point. I paid $170 for 1494 KWH [$.113/KWH] last
month.

I have recently replaced a 10 yr old, energy star rated,
refrigerator/freezer with a weak compressor. When I did that my
bill dropped 2-300KWH from last year. [$22-33/month]

I'd wager that if you're paying anywhere close to a dime a KWH the
payback on your old frig will be less than a couple years.

I've converted a lot of the incandescent lighting to fluorescent.

I've stopped using space heaters.

-snip-

How about hair dryers, toaster, electric stove. . . .

Have you had your utility company come out and do a survey? I had
one done once and it must have been the surveyors first day because it
was a waste of both our times-- but I've talked to other folks who
were helped by the survey & eliminated an electricity hog that they
never would have thought of.

Jim