Klm

Default Looking for Ways to Reduce Electricity Usage (Possibly Solar Cells)

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:05:31 -0500, "Mark & Mary Ann Weiss"
wrote:

I'm looking for a variety of alternative energy source ideas, even wind
power to charge batteries.
Perhaps it makes more sense to have one big 3kVA inverter and three times
the battery capacity and more cells charging by day and wind-driven
generators charging by night? What I'd like to do is create a hybrid system
that is scaleable as my needs/budget grow.

A home alternative energy installation is often not worth the
investment. But a possible formula may be

.. A diesel fueled electrical generator to run a whole house heat pump
- cools the house in summer and helps to heat it in winter. The
generator part recharges your battery. Maybe divert the radiator
coolant to supplement house heating. Of course there is no such thing
as free energy but the battery charging and waste heat recovery may
work out to be less than the bills you pay the utility company. The
only "free" heat comes from the heat pump set up.

I am not that convinced about solar cells. Grime often reduces their
efficiency and therefore output.