Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default best tool for this job?

On 11/11/2018 09:37, dennis@home wrote:
On 10/11/2018 23:10, John Rumm wrote:
8

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Inline_Sanding_Hack

Scary.
You might suggest grinding the teeth off or some fool will have their
hand off.

As it turns out the tool with actually take the blade either way up, so
you could point them in a less aggressive looking direction. (using a
hacksaw blade might also be better!)

For the OP I can't see what's wrong with a normal random orbital sander
and putting a metal rule along the beam to stop it doing any damage.
Maybe cutting a strip of metal/plastic and wrapping it around the pad.

I would be content with my RoS[1], and just staying slightly shy of the
beam... although if you do hit it, its not going to do it any particular
damage. If you are left with a unsanded edge, then either a bead of
caulk over it, or a quick touch up with a multimaster style tool.

[1] Mirka CEROS 5" - I bought it mainly for woodwork, but its the sander
of choice for many pro decorators because its small, light, and very
easy to use in any orientation, and when combined with their Abranet
sanding sheets and a decent extractor does an almost totally effective
job collecting the dust:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS17ZoCpHrU

--
Cheers,