Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard[_10_] Richard[_10_] is offline

Default best tool for this job?

On 11/11/2018 03:08, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/11/2018 00:34, wrote:
On Saturday, 10 November 2018 23:10:12 UTC, John RummÂ* wrote:
On 10/11/2018 19:41, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 10 November 2018 17:44:05 UTC, John RummÂ* wrote:
On 10/11/2018 16:55, tabbypurr wrote:

snip

So you plan to have your hand bobbing the tool up & down at the
necessary rate to keep the pad touching the ceiling. Good luck with
that! I certainly won't be trying it.

So you agree it will work then...

obviously I didn't.

Well you should...

(Do the sums and you will see the actual amount of movement vertically
is pretty small... in use it will be similar to using the saw to
plunge
cut through a surface)

Why don't you get back to us when you've tried it.

ok, and here are the results:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Inline_Sanding_Hack

So you accept (on the wiki) it's not suitable for the OP to sand his
ceilings with,

I was not actually suggesting that it was a solution for the OP - just
exploring a possibility. I was responding to Robin's reposting of Bill's
original comment, about using sandpaper fixed to a multimaster blade.

I said:Â* "Actually that gives me an idea for a poor man's festool style
linear action sander....".

Having now tried that idea and proved that it does work, I would
maintain that it does indeed give you a poor man's[1] linear sander.

[1] Now for the avoidance of doubt, by "poor man's" I mean a hack that
is austere in nature - it will do a similar job but with less finesse,
effectiveness, comfort and all that.

As a champion of the cheap tool, and hacked solution I would have
thought that would be right up your street?

even after you improved the design by using a flat sanding pad

The flat sanding pad is not an improvement - it would be better with a
slight curve so that it could maintain contact with the surface better
and not put excessive wear on the paper on the ends of the block like a
flat one does. However it was more than adequate to establish if the
idea works, how controllable it was, what the material removal rate was
like, and how bad the vibration was going to be.

I'm done on this.

We can live in hope...

Kudos for bothering to prove your point.
Diddums to tabby.