Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default best tool for this job?

On 09/11/2018 18:27, Andrew wrote:
On 09/11/2018 18:11, Roger Hayter wrote:

When the bottom of your ceiling joists is around 1900mm (and I've seen
lower than ours) you need the space between a few inches higher.

What for ?.

If you're going to bang your head on any of the beams then you
bought the wrong house.

Built.

No, there was a planning issue with the overall height. I am down on the
minimum.

Do I recall correctly you rebuilt it on the same site as a previous
house? Presumably that might make them want to limit it to not taller
than the original, which if its old enough would likely be quite short.
When you then add modern joist depth requirements, you potentially have
more of a headroom problem.

And the main cross beams being 12" deep are a shade below and almoost
head bang territory for tall friends

Yup, I have that problem at my Aunt's place over near Clair - mostly ok
downstairs, but I have to take great care walking about upstairs, there
is something waiting to clomp you at every turn!

--
Cheers,

John.