Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking
Jeßus[_4_] Jeßus[_4_] is offline

Default powdered milk

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:56:18 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 23:35:13 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In "Rod Speed"
writes:

But powdered milk used to be cheaper than fresh milk, presumably
because they didn't have to move it in refrigerated trucks etc once
made, so the question is why has the price ratio changed now ?

Just confirming your recollection here. Back in the 1960's we'd
use powdered milk in cooking (mmmm, macaroni and cheese...)
and it was cheaper than whole milk.

About 15 years ago (after decades of not using any) I went
to pick up some more, and was surprised that the dry stuff
was more expensive.

There's so much in the way of price controls and minimum
pricing and rules and regulation, that I can't even try
guessing as to the reasons.

Less demand now = lower economies of scale?

Unlikely given that both australia and new zealand still have
powdered milk much cheaper than fresh milk and the yanks don't.

Seems my hypothesis is probably incorrect, according to some quick
googling I just did:
https://www.dairyaustralia.com.au/in...es/milk-powder
http://www.capitalpress.com/Dairy/20...in-three-years
On second thoughts, what happens in a domestic market is another
matter... shrug