Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

Default powdered milk

I shop every week where I sometimes run out of cream near the end of the
week.

So I figured I'd stock evaporated and condensed milk, but they change the
taste of the coffee and, 90% of the can gets wasted because I only need one
shot or two until I go out and buy cream again (which can't be stocked).

Then I had the bright idea of stocking powdered milk!

Sure, it sucks as a product, but for emergencies it should work, right?
Guess what?

The PRICE of powdered milk is far more than fresh milk!
Why?

Generally crap costs less than the real thing, right?
So why is powdered milk (admittedly, it's crap), more EXPENSIVE than fresh
milk?

I don't get it.
Do you?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

"Logan MacEwens" wrote in message
news
I shop every week where I sometimes run out of cream near the end of the
week.
So I figured I'd stock evaporated and condensed milk, but they change the
taste of the coffee and, 90% of the can gets wasted because I only need
one shot or two until I go out and buy cream again (which can't be
stocked).

Then I had the bright idea of stocking powdered milk!

Sure, it sucks as a product, but for emergencies it should work, right?
Guess what?

The PRICE of powdered milk is far more than fresh milk!
Why?

Generally crap costs less than the real thing, right?
So why is powdered milk (admittedly, it's crap), more EXPENSIVE than fresh
milk?

I don't get it.
Do you?

I used to use UHF milk until I gave up on coffee entirely.

It certainly tastes different and might be a problem
if you only use it when you run out, but it stocks well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 07:56:44 +0000, Logan MacEwens
wrote:

I shop every week where I sometimes run out of cream near the end of the
week.

So I figured I'd stock evaporated and condensed milk, but they change the
taste of the coffee and, 90% of the can gets wasted because I only need one
shot or two until I go out and buy cream again (which can't be stocked).

Then I had the bright idea of stocking powdered milk!

Sure, it sucks as a product, but for emergencies it should work, right?
Guess what?

The PRICE of powdered milk is far more than fresh milk!
Why?

Generally crap costs less than the real thing, right?
So why is powdered milk (admittedly, it's crap), more EXPENSIVE than fresh
milk?

I don't get it.
Do you?

There is more processing to make powdered milk. Regular milk just
comes straight from the cow with a quick pass through the pasteurizing
machine on it's way to the jug.
You also have the problem that powdered milk is an international
commodity and gets somewhat "price fixed" by trade agreements. Places
like New Zealand are already griping that we "dump" it on the market
cheaper than they can produce it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No trade agreement fixes its price.

Places like New Zealand are already griping that we "dump"
it on the market cheaper than they can produce it.

But that's mostly just more **** and wind.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

"Logan MacEwens" wrote in message news
I shop every week where I sometimes run out of cream near the end of the
week.

So I figured I'd stock evaporated and condensed milk, but they change the
taste of the coffee and, 90% of the can gets wasted because I only need one
shot or two until I go out and buy cream again (which can't be stocked).

Then I had the bright idea of stocking powdered milk!

Sure, it sucks as a product, but for emergencies it should work, right?
Guess what?

The PRICE of powdered milk is far more than fresh milk!
Why?

Generally crap costs less than the real thing, right?
So why is powdered milk (admittedly, it's crap), more EXPENSIVE than fresh
milk?

I don't get it.
Do you?

===

Yes, because it needs to be processed, which doesn't come free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 19:54:51 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

There is more processing to make powdered milk. Regular milk just
comes straight from the cow with a quick pass through the pasteurizing
machine on it's way to the jug.

You also have the problem that powdered milk is an international
commodity and gets somewhat "price fixed" by trade agreements.

No

LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 19:25:50 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I don't get it.
Do you?

I used to use UHF milk until I gave up on coffee entirely.

It certainly tastes different and might be a problem
if you only use it when you run out, but it stocks well.

Trolling now in the Yanks ngs, senile Ozzie troll? It's becasue the Yanks
still haven't realized what's the matter with you, eh? LOL

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 19:25:50 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

[...]

There are several more steps involved in manufacturing powdered milk
compared to normal milk, so somebody has to pay for that process...

I used to use UHF milk until I gave up on coffee entirely.

Depends on what wavelength your personally prefer?

It certainly tastes different and might be a problem
if you only use it when you run out, but it stocks well.

UHT milk gives me the runs, ordinary milk does not.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

On 11/8/18 2:56 AM, Logan MacEwens wrote:
I shop every week where I sometimes run out of cream near the end of the
week.

So I figured I'd stock evaporated and condensed milk, but they change the
taste of the coffee and, 90% of the can gets wasted because I only need one
shot or two until I go out and buy cream again (which can't be stocked).

Then I had the bright idea of stocking powdered milk!

Sure, it sucks as a product, but for emergencies it should work, right?
Guess what?

The PRICE of powdered milk is far more than fresh milk!
Why?

Generally crap costs less than the real thing, right?
So why is powdered milk (admittedly, it's crap), more EXPENSIVE than fresh
milk?

I don't get it.
Do you?

Give some thought to what dairy farmers have to do to get that powder
out of the cows and you'd understand why it's so expensive ;-)

--
Ever notice the shortage of "armed law-abiding citizen victim tragedy
stories in the news?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 19:54:51 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Perhaps "establish" would be a better term but it is going to be based
on what the traffic will bear and if our competitors are charging
more, we can charge more.

Places like New Zealand are already griping that we "dump"
it on the market cheaper than they can produce it.

But that's mostly just more **** and wind.

The price part in valid tho. We can bump our price up to 99.5% of
theirs and still be cheaper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I shop every week where I sometimes run out of cream near the end of the
week.

So I figured I'd stock evaporated and condensed milk, but they change the
taste of the coffee and, 90% of the can gets wasted because I only need one
shot or two until I go out and buy cream again (which can't be stocked).

Then I had the bright idea of stocking powdered milk!

Sure, it sucks as a product, but for emergencies it should work, right?
Guess what?

The PRICE of powdered milk is far more than fresh milk!
Why?

Generally crap costs less than the real thing, right?
So why is powdered milk (admittedly, it's crap), more EXPENSIVE than fresh
milk?

I don't get it.
Do you?

If it is, it is due to the cost of processing.

It always was less expensive years ago because it was made of
"surplus" or "industrial" milk.

I grew up on it as we were poor. Freshly mixed it is AWFULL, but left
sit in the fridge for about 3 hours or so it's pretty much just
skimmed milk.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

[...]

That's because you are a very ****ty person.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 19:54:51 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

No trade agreement establishes its price either.

And there arent many trade agreements between the
US and the main exporters of powdered milk either.

but it is going to be based on what the traffic will bear

Yes, and the cost of producing it.

and if our competitors are charging more, we can charge more.

But has nothing to do with trade agreements.

Places like New Zealand are already griping that we "dump"
it on the market cheaper than they can produce it.

But that's mostly just more **** and wind.

The price part in valid tho.

What ?

We can bump our price up to 99.5% of theirs and still be cheaper.

The reality is that the market price isnt cheaper than NZ can produce it.
If it was, NZ wouldn't be selling so much of it to China.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 07:16:42 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I know a senile Ozzietard a lot ****tier than him, senile Rot!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 07:32:25 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

The reality is that the market price isnt cheaper than NZ can produce it.
If it was, NZ wouldn't be selling so much of it to China.

The reality is that you ARE an "argumentative asshole", asshole!

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 07:16:42 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Logan MacEwens" wrote in message
news I shop every week where I sometimes run out of cream near the end of the
[...]

Keep talking to me like that, and I'll leave you. I mean it this time.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

[...]

Think about it. How long would they have to dehydrate it for to get it to
powder? I have no idea but that would use electricity. Dried foods are
always more expensive than fresh.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
news

[...]

But powdered milk used to be cheaper than fresh milk, presumably
because they didn't have to move it in refrigerated trucks etc once
made, so the question is why has the price ratio changed now ?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

On 11/9/2018 6:20 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
news

[...]

I'm not sure it is. Quick look makes it somewhat difficult as it is
sold by weight but you are told to add volumes to make certain
quantities. Saw one from Carnation that was a small pack costing $1.49
and made a quart. I think a quart of milk costs more than this.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

In "Rod Speed" writes:

But powdered milk used to be cheaper than fresh milk, presumably
because they didn't have to move it in refrigerated trucks etc once
made, so the question is why has the price ratio changed now ?

Just confirming your recollection here. Back in the 1960's we'd
use powdered milk in cooking (mmmm, macaroni and cheese...)
and it was cheaper than whole milk.

About 15 years ago (after decades of not using any) I went
to pick up some more, and was surprised that the dry stuff
was more expensive.

There's so much in the way of price controls and minimum
pricing and rules and regulation, that I can't even try
guessing as to the reasons.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 10:20:18 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Think about it. How long would they have to dehydrate it for to get it to
powder? I have no idea but that would use electricity. Dried foods are
always more expensive than fresh.

But powdered milk used to be cheaper than fresh milk, presumably
because they didn't have to move it in refrigerated trucks etc once
made, so the question is why has the price ratio changed now ?

It's because fresh milk always got cheaper because of an oversupply of fresh
milk, idiot!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 10:20:18 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
news

[...]

Regular milk got cheaper. Refrigeration is the standard now not the
exception.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 10:20:18 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
news

[...]

Regular milk got cheaper.

I don't believe that.

Refrigeration is the standard now not the exception.

Still costs significantly more to cart the milk from where
its produced to where it is consumed in refrigerated trucks.
And here, it is carted much further too. There are damned
few local dairys left anymore, its carted for hundreds of
miles now and didn't used to be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 13:32:22 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 10:20:18 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
news
[...]

I just looked and they say a gallon of milk was $1.15 in 1970
http://www.1970sflashback.com/1970/Economy.asp

and if you use this inflation calculator that would be $7.43 right
now.
https://tinyurl.com/y8h5yc2e

It was $2.42 today at the store.
Sounds cheaper to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 Nov 2018 21:55:40 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 13:32:22 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 10:20:18 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
news
[...]

the price of milk in the USA is among the lowest in the world for
several reasons
The productivity of dairies is almost double what it was in 1950 on a
per cow basis. The average herd size is at least 10 times what it was
in 1950.
On an adjusted price basis the cost of cattle feed has also decreased
for the same kinds of reasons.

This puts the cost of pruduction per unit much lower in adjusted
dollar values.

The USA sells fluid milk at retail for well below the total cost of
production and is overproducing by a huge percentage, and the
overproduction is incrreasing at the same time that consumption is
dropping.

The adjusted dollar cost of transportation and refrigeration has also
dropped significantly - making fresh fluid milk more competetive
against the highly processed milk powder.

The cost of processing has not dropped nearly as fast as the cost of
production and the processing is not subsidized like the milk
production sector. Also the value of powdered milk is more
permanent" than fluid milk. What is not sold within a week or so of
production is still saleable at the same price, a year later anywhere
in the world. It is a semi-durable commodity traded on the world
market
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 13:32:22 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 10:20:18 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
news
[...]

Those don't work for specific items like house prices
or specific commoditys like milk or metal prices either.

that would be $7.43 right now.
https://tinyurl.com/y8h5yc2e

It was $2.42 today at the store.
Sounds cheaper to me.

But still doesn't explain why that didn't happen with powdered
milk too, given that its obviously made from fresh milk.

Looks suspiciously like something else is involved.
Don't you lot have some controls on fresh milk prices
at least in some states where the milk producers have
some real clout with your state politicians ? I seem
to remember someone there saying you did a couple
of years ago, in usenet, not this particular group.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 10:20:18 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
news
[...]

That's true in most of the first world too. The main exception is in
some parts of the EU due to the CAP which is a hybrid welfare
and agricultural policy, particular in France which allows them
to continue with very expensive old fashioned technology in
agriculture and food production.

[...]

And yet in Australia and New Zealand, powdered milk is still
much cheaper than fresh milk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 16:29:57 +1100, "Aaron" wrote:

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 09 Nov 2018 21:55:40 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 13:32:22 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
m...
On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 10:20:18 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
news
[...]

And they are overproducing like crazy too and the price is a lot
different between powdered whole and skimmed milk too - - -

For world pricing trends see:
https://www.globaldairytrade.info/en...e-milk-powder/
and european: https://www.clal.it/en/index.php?section=whole_west
and non-eu: https://www.clal.it/en/?section=polvere_world both whole
and skim
The farm gate prices are very similar between the UJS and NZ..

See pricing at: https://www.clal.it/en/?section=latte_world

All kinds of dairy commodity pricing at
https://www.idfa.org/resources/dairy-market-prices

USDA cost of production and farm gate pricing iunformation by state
and by producer size at:
https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-produc...ion-estimates/

This shows most dairy producers in the USA are running at a loss.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 23:35:13 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In "Rod Speed" writes:

But powdered milk used to be cheaper than fresh milk, presumably
because they didn't have to move it in refrigerated trucks etc once
made, so the question is why has the price ratio changed now ?

Just confirming your recollection here. Back in the 1960's we'd
use powdered milk in cooking (mmmm, macaroni and cheese...)
and it was cheaper than whole milk.

About 15 years ago (after decades of not using any) I went
to pick up some more, and was surprised that the dry stuff
was more expensive.

There's so much in the way of price controls and minimum
pricing and rules and regulation, that I can't even try
guessing as to the reasons.

Less demand now = lower economies of scale?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

"Jeus" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 23:35:13 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In "Rod Speed"
writes:

But powdered milk used to be cheaper than fresh milk, presumably
because they didn't have to move it in refrigerated trucks etc once
made, so the question is why has the price ratio changed now ?

Just confirming your recollection here. Back in the 1960's we'd
use powdered milk in cooking (mmmm, macaroni and cheese...)
and it was cheaper than whole milk.

About 15 years ago (after decades of not using any) I went
to pick up some more, and was surprised that the dry stuff
was more expensive.

There's so much in the way of price controls and minimum
pricing and rules and regulation, that I can't even try
guessing as to the reasons.

Less demand now = lower economies of scale?

Unlikely given that both australia and new zealand still have
powdered milk much cheaper than fresh milk and the yanks don't.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:56:18 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Jeus" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 23:35:13 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In "Rod Speed"
writes:

But powdered milk used to be cheaper than fresh milk, presumably
because they didn't have to move it in refrigerated trucks etc once
made, so the question is why has the price ratio changed now ?

Just confirming your recollection here. Back in the 1960's we'd
use powdered milk in cooking (mmmm, macaroni and cheese...)
and it was cheaper than whole milk.

About 15 years ago (after decades of not using any) I went
to pick up some more, and was surprised that the dry stuff
was more expensive.

There's so much in the way of price controls and minimum
pricing and rules and regulation, that I can't even try
guessing as to the reasons.

Less demand now = lower economies of scale?

Unlikely given that both australia and new zealand still have
powdered milk much cheaper than fresh milk and the yanks don't.

Seems my hypothesis is probably incorrect, according to some quick
googling I just did:
https://www.dairyaustralia.com.au/in...es/milk-powder
http://www.capitalpress.com/Dairy/20...in-three-years
On second thoughts, what happens in a domestic market is another
matter... shrug

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 13:49:50 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Milk is about $2/l here, Australia, and about $1/l when
powdered milk is used here, so its still much cheaper dried.

Nobody was talking about Australia, senile Ozzietard!

Not obvious why yours is reversed.

The answer was already provided, cretin!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 13:32:22 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Regular milk got cheaper.

I don't believe that.

What an asshole! LOL

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 16:23:10 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

that would be $7.43 right now.
https://tinyurl.com/y8h5yc2e

It was $2.42 today at the store.
Sounds cheaper to me.

But still doesn't explain why that didn't happen with powdered
milk too, given that its obviously made from fresh milk.

You ARE that retarded (or senile), aren't you, senile Rot? The COSTS of
processing powerded milk did not diminish and most likely even went up!

--
Senile Rot about himself:
"I was involved in the design of a computer OS"

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:56:18 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Less demand now = lower economies of scale?

Unlikely given that both australia and new zealand still have
powdered milk much cheaper than fresh milk and the yanks don't.

Obviously no fresh milk surplus production there. And nobody was talking
about Australia either, senile Ozzie cretin!

--
Senile Rot about himself:
"I was involved in the design of a computer OS"
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

Jeus wrote:

On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 23:35:13 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In "Rod Speed"
writes:

But powdered milk used to be cheaper than fresh milk,
presumably because they didn't have to move it in
refrigerated trucks etc once made, so the question is why
has the price ratio changed now ?

Just confirming your recollection here. Back in the 1960's
we'd use powdered milk in cooking (mmmm, macaroni and
cheese...) and it was cheaper than whole milk.

About 15 years ago (after decades of not using any) I went
to pick up some more, and was surprised that the dry stuff
was more expensive.

There's so much in the way of price controls and minimum
pricing and rules and regulation, that I can't even try
guessing as to the reasons.

Less demand now = lower economies of scale?

Using half powdered/dry milk (+ water) and half fresh milk
was hyped as a big money saver back in the 50s and 60s to
stretch food budgets. Dry milk was definitely less expensive
than fresh back then.

A lot of my bread machine recipes call for dry milk, and
like others, I was shocked at the higher price for the
dry stuff these days. So I just use fresh in those recipes
and adjust the water or other wet ingredients accordingly.

My problem now is that some stores carrying fresh milk
don't seem to know how to handle and store it properly
so it goes bad much faster than it should. As in opening
a new jug of milk and having it already gone lumpy within
it's "use by" date. So I avoid that store and drive to
a farther one whenever I need to buy fresh milk. More
gas burned, but less wasted milk.

Nyssa, who has figured out that keeping a quart of milk
in the freezer for emergencies is more cost effective than
making a trip into town for just milk