Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default best tool for this job?

On 09/11/2018 18:27, Andrew wrote:
On 09/11/2018 18:11, Roger Hayter wrote:
Andrew wrote:

I am faced with masking filling and sanding plater/filler betweenÂ* oak
beams that have shrink

Its proving a monumental task, esp. the sanding

Mt orbital sander tears the masking tape and its prone to grind the
ends
off the sheet of abrasive if it gets too close to a wall.

I bought a 'palm' sander from Wickes for £15 his morning,. It lasted 20
mins before the sanding pad fell off and the Velcro underneath got
buggered. I took it back and got a refund.

The job is as you can see here..

http://www.larksrise.com/Project%20P...icture=Kitchen

/scv_15410864578302304584964064881918.jpg

http://www.larksrise.com/Project%20P...icture=Kitchen

/DSC_0003.JPG

Any adviceÂ* welcomed.

What is the British obsession with brown wood on the inside of the
house ?.

Just overboard with fireproof plaster and have it skimmed. Use the
void between the beams to hide downlighters and wiring.

If you must keep them on show, just dont bother with masking.
fill the cracks with Wickes white and fine surface filler and
then have the beams sandblasted back to bare wood, which will
remove any plaster overspill.

When the bottom of your ceiling joists is around 1900mm (and I've seen
lower than ours) you need the space between a few inches higher.

What for ?.

If you're going to bang your head on any of the beams then you
bought the wrong house.

Built.

No, there was a planning issue with the overall height. I am down on the
minimum.

And the main cross beams being 12" deep are a shade below and almoost
head bang territory for tall friends
..

Mind you, ours are painted off-white, to get a bit of light in.

Josef Stalin