Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default powdered milk

On 11/9/2018 6:20 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
news

"Logan MacEwens" wrote in message
news
I shop every week where I sometimes run out of cream near the end of
the week.
So I figured I'd stock evaporated and condensed milk, but they change
the taste of the coffee and, 90% of the can gets wasted because I
only need one shot or two until I go out and buy cream again (which
can't be stocked).

Then I had the bright idea of stocking powdered milk!

Sure, it sucks as a product, but for emergencies it should work, right?
Guess what?

The PRICE of powdered milk is far more than fresh milk!
Why?

Generally crap costs less than the real thing, right?
So why is powdered milk (admittedly, it's crap), more EXPENSIVE than
fresh milk?

I don't get it.
Do you?

Think about it. How long would they have to dehydrate it for to get it
to powder? I have no idea but that would use electricity. Dried foods
are always more expensive than fresh.

But powdered milk used to be cheaper than fresh milk, presumably
because they didn't have to move it in refrigerated trucks etc once
made, so the question is why has the price ratio changed now ?

I'm not sure it is. Quick look makes it somewhat difficult as it is
sold by weight but you are told to add volumes to make certain
quantities. Saw one from Carnation that was a small pack costing $1.49
and made a quart. I think a quart of milk costs more than this.