Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Steven Watkins Steven Watkins is offline

Default Li-Ion batteries

On Fri, 02 Nov 2018 22:30:09 -0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Steven Watkins
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Nov 2018 21:46:29 -0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 02/11/2018 21:09, Steven Watkins wrote:
On Fri, 02 Nov 2018 20:51:55 -0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 02/11/2018 20:39, Steven Watkins wrote:
As far as I know, the only advantage to LiIon over NiMH is the increased
capacity,
They are far better at not self discharging

NiMh if left a few months flatten and destroy themselves

Li-Ion is good for a year or more

That's no longer true, since about 10 years ago when Uniross came out
with Hybrio, and other manufacturers with similar products. Basically
they're just better made NiMH. They don't significantly self discharge,
in fact when you buy them they come already charged. Myself I have AA
NiMH which I've left on a shelf for 2 years and they still measure as
pretty much full.

Well thats news to me and welcome news at that.

Hated NiMh for that exact reason

Funny, I never noticed much drain on the original NiMH (probably lost about
25% in 3 months). NiCad, yes, they were appalling.

You were nodding off then. Typically if one charged up an NiMH and left
it, it was flat when needed for anything.

Mine don't, and I still have loads of them from the pre-eneloop era. Since all eneloop did was to improve the purity of the chemicals, perhaps there were already non-self discharging batteries around before then.

However, Eneloops
(f'rinstance) don't self discharge and are indeed sold charged up.
We're slowly binning all our other NiMH as the only use one can make of
them is in those garden lights with a tiny solar panel on top which can
charge them up during the day. Even then the lights don't stay on very
long in winter.

I've got ones from before eneloop came out which I charge after they run out, then leave them in a box. They typically stay in there for a few months, then are used just fine in torches, cameras, all sorts. I've in fact never known an NiMH discharge by itself unless it's very old and has been used a lot, by which time it's usually at the leaking stage anyway.